WPI Named One of Best Value Colleges in MA
Wednesday, April 05, 2017
According to SmartAsset’s third annual Best Value Colleges study, Worcester Polytech is the fourth best value college out of ten ranked colleges in the state.
Last year, SmartAsset ranked WPI fifth on the list.
See the Rankings in the Slideshow Below
"Earning a college degree can increase your skill set, job prospects and net worth. But with rising college costs, where you choose to get that degree from can make a big difference," said SmartAsset.
Overall, MIT is ranked as the best value college, while Harvard, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, WPI and UMass Boston round out the top five.
Boston College was ranked 10th on the list of Best Value Colleges.
SmartAsset looked at five factors to determine the best value colleges and universities: tuition, student living costs, scholarship and grant offerings, retention rate and starting salary.
To capture the true cost of attending a school, they included the tuition (using in-state tuition for public schools where applicable), student living costs (including room and board, books, supplies, transportation and other personal expenses) and the average scholarships and grants offered to students of the school.
To find out what students get in return, SmartAsset looked at student retention rate (the percent of students that re-enrolled at the institution the following year) and the average starting salary.
They gave 25% weighting to starting salary, tuition, and living costs; and 12.5% weighting to scholarships & grants and student retention rate to come up with a ranking of schools in our analysis.
With that ranking, they created an index where the number one school was assigned 100.
SEE THE RANKINGS IN THE SLIDESHOW BELOW
Related Slideshow: SmartAsset’s Best Value Colleges in MA - 2017
- College Admissions: Top 10 College Admissions Websites
- Clark U. Makes Kiplinger’s List for Best College Values in 2017
- College Admissions: The Real Danger in Being a High School Athlete
- Monfredo: Worcester Public School Students Excited About College Placements
- College Admissions: What Your PSAT Scores Really Mean
- See Where Worcester Ranks as a College Town?
- College Admissions: Handling Early Admission Rejection
- Fecteau: Abolish the Electoral College
- College Admissions: Why GPA’s Lie
- College Admissions: Is a Big-City School Right for You?
- College Admissions: Best Ski + Snowboard Colleges in the East
- College Admissions: Best Ski + Snowboard Colleges in the West
- Trump and North Korea: Expert at Naval War College in Newport Weighs In
- College Admissions: 5 Websites Revolutionizing Admissions
- College Admissions: No Acceptances? Don’t Panic
- College Admissions: How To Keep From Choosing The Wrong College
- Bravehearts Add 7 Division I College Players to Roster for 2017
- College Admissions: Remove Barriers & Watch Applications Surge
- College Admissions: 5 Hard Truths About Athletic Recruiting
- College Admissions: What College Would Batman Have Gone To?
- College Admissions: Using Social Media During Admissions Process
- College Admissions: 6 Questions You Need To Ask On College Visits
- 26 Students From Worcester Make Dean’s List at Anna Maria College
- College Admissions: Ivy League 2020 Competitive and Diverse