Worcester Receives State Grant for Removal of Dam
Thursday, January 16, 2014
“Aging infrastructures is a reality and major concern for many communities across the Commonwealth,” Senator Moore said. “These funds will help the City of Worcester, and the other awarded communities, restores the community’s natural resources and increase overall health. The repair and removal of these declining infrastructures will help cities and towns address safety concerns and properly prepare and plan before the next super storm Sandy or large winter storms like Nemo last year.”
Worcester received $240,000 for the removal of the Poor Farm Dam, an obsolete structure, currently in poor condition. The dam is located along the Worcester/Shrewsbury town line just below Route 70 and is owned by the City of Worcester.
Related Slideshow: 6 Delicious New England Bakeries
The Daily Meal has compiled a list of America's 50 Best Bakeries; which New England hotspots made the list?
Seven Stars Bakery, Providence
Seven Stars Bakery is a staple for any Providence foodie. With breads and pastries made from scratch with local ingredients, the top-notch Seven Stars Bakery strives for quality. Can't decide what you're in the mood for? Try the lemon pound cake, olive bread filled with Kalamata and Moroccan oil cured olives, or ginger biscuit scones.
820 Hope Street, Providence
342 Broadway, Providence
Rumford Center, 20 Newman Avenue, East Providence
A & J King, Salem, MA
A & J King Artisan Bakers serves traditional, artisanal bread and pastries. Along with the bakery's regular menu selections, A & J King features rotating weekly specials like semolina apricot fennel and asiago chile. Have their tried-and-true sticky bun or the caramel bourbon pecan bread pudding for another gooey treat.
48 Central Street, Salem, MA
Mike’s Pastry, Boston, MA
For the best cannoli in Boston, it's all about Mike’s Pastry. But while you're in there make sure to check out the rest of what it has to offer; you won't regret it. From boozy rum cakes to red velvet whoopie pies to ricotta pie to lobster tail, a flaky pastry filled with either white cream or yellow custard, there’s something to suit every sweet craving. And of course, don't forget the classic Boston cream pies!
300 Hanover Street, Boston
Clear Flour Bread, Brookline, MA
Clear Flour Bread has been a Brookline fixture for more than 30 years and has the awards to show for it! Clear Flour Bread prides itself on its Italian and French pastries being made from scratch, shaped by hand, and baked in a stone hearth. The morning buns will pick you right up on those sluggish Mondays, and their croissants, cranberry currant scones, and molasses cookies are to die for.
178 Thorndike Street, Brookline, MA
Standard Baking Co., Portland, ME
The Standard Baking Company in downtown Portland has every bread you could possibly want. Rosemary focaccia, pain de mie, brioche, boules, epi bread? Check. Morning buns? Check. Croissants? Take your pick: almond, chocolate, plain, or ham and cheese? Whatever you're in the mood for, owners Allison Bray and Matt James have got you covered.
75 Commercial Street, Portland, ME
Flour Bakery + Café, Boston, MA
A trip to Flour Bakery and Café is the kind of thing that will easily make your day. Be sure to try the amazing sticky buns, the banana bread, granola bars, or brioche with raisins. And for those with a sweet tooth, check out the lemon curd cakes with raspberry preserve, Milky Way tarts, and chocolate cupcakes with Crispy Magic Frosting. Is your mouth watering yet?
12 Farnsworth Street, Boston
1595 Washington Street, Boston
190 Mass. Ave., Cambridge
131 Clarendon Street, Boston
- Sen. Michael Moore’s Opponent Kicked Out of Fundraiser
- Senator Moore Boosting Small Businesses
- NEW: State Sen. Moore Issues Statement on Boston Marathon Bombings
- Mass. State Senator Moore Appointed to NEBHE Advisory Committee
- Sen. Moore Applauds UMass, Worcester Agreement on Biotech Park
- Moore and Simonian Battle for 2nd District Senate Seat
- NEW: Moore Announces Overtime Reimbursement for Worcester
- PowerPlayer: State Senator Michael Moore
- State Sen. Mike Moore Not Underestimating Challenger Simonian
- NEW: Moore Announces Grant for Worcester for Clean Energy Jobs
- NEW: Michael O. Moore: Time For Real Reform, Not Rhetoric
- Voter Guide: Mike Moore Profile (2nd District)
- NEW: Moore Named Friend of Small Business by NFIB
- Michael O. Moore Receives MA State Universities Leadership Award
- NEW: Moore Holds On To 2nd District Senate Seat
- NEW: Sen. Moore Announces Out-of-State Tuition Discount Program for MA Residents
- NEW: Moore Fires Back at Simonian: Calls Him “Deeply Out of Touch”
- NEW: Sen. Michael Moore Attempts to Reduce Health Care Costs for Small Businesses