Worcester Technical High School Awarded $495K Skills Capital Grant
Monday, June 25, 2018
Worcester Tech is one of 33 high schools in the state to receive a Skills Capital Grant from Governor Charlie Baker.
“The equipment purchased by high schools and colleges over the past three years through Skills Capital Grants has directly impacted the educational experience for thousands of Massachusetts students to better prepare them for the workforce. This program has had a positive impact on students in the Commonwealth and we look forward to working with the Legislature to include $75 million worth of funding for Skills Capital Grants as part of the Economic Development bill we filed in the spring,” said Baker.
Worcester Tech Using the Grant
Using the grant, students will be trained on new equipment, such as logic controllers and design software, specific cybersecurity, human robotics and robotics technology.
“Schools that receive these competitive grants are giving their students a head start by creating relationships with local employers who provide input and expertise about the skills and knowledge they will need to be successful in the future,” said Education Secretary James Peyser.
The high school teams with Quinsigamond Community College and Worcester Polytechnic Institute for postsecondary courses.
Skills Capital Grants
The grants are awarded by Governor Baker’s Workforce Skills Cabinet. Governor Baker and Lt. Governor Polito created the Workforce Skills Cabinet in 2015, bringing together the Secretariats of Education, Labor and Workforce Development, and Housing and Economic Development in order to align education, economic development and workforce policies, and to strategize around how to meet employers’ demand for skilled workers in each region of the state.
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Worcester Tech vs South
- John Monfredo: “Three Doctors” Inspire Worcester Tech Students
- NEW: Worcester Tech’s Harrity Named National Principal of the Year
- GoLocal Game of the Week Preview: Worcester Tech at South
- NEW: Worcester Tech and Tufts Team Up To Create Animal Clinic
- Tufts to Open Low-Cost Pet Clinic at Worcester Technical High School
- The Secret Formula at Worcester Technical High School
- Worcester Tech: Offering Cheap Oil Changes and Hair Cuts
- NEW: Worcester Technical High School Named 2013 Blue Ribbon School
- Worcester Tech Students Take First Place at MA DECA Conference
- NEW: Arrests Made For Weapons Near Burncoat, Worcester Tech Today
- BREAKING: Dead Body Found Near Worcester Tech High School
- Worcester Tech to Receive Financial Education Innovation Fund Grant
- Monfredo: Senator Warren Impressed by Worcester Technical High School Students
- Obama to Fly into Worcester Airport for Worcester Tech Graduation
- NEW: President Obama to Deliver Worcester Tech Commencement Speech
- Monfredo: Colin Powell Dazzles the Crowd in Worcester Tech Speech
- RI Speaker, Reps Visit Worcester Tech for Ideas to Improve Tech Ed