Worcester Traffic Gets Scored On Global Report
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
The new global report released by INRIX stacks up all the most congested intersections in the world. The commute on I-290 did not make the top ten worst on the globe or even the U.S., but Worcester did rank among the worst for one category.
According to the report, "Death, taxes and traffic are often called the three certainties of life. At social gatherings, traffic and its impact to our lives is a common topic."
Boston's I-93 North bound ranks the worst road in New England and 22nd in the country for most congested.
More concerning is the rate of increase of congestion is getting worse for Worcester compared to other cities in the U.S. Worcester ranks 7th in the U.S. in March, 2013.
Last Year The Report Ranked Worcester #1
Drivers in Worcester waste less time on the road than commuters in any other metropolitan city, a recent traffic congestion report showed. The INRIX Index showed that for 2011, drivers wasted only 11.7 hours sitting in traffic all year, compared with the 51.2 hours for Honolulu, the city ranked as the most congested.
Global Trend Not Good for US
The global trends unveiled show that the U.S. is an outlier - traffic congestion keeps getting worse:
- The U.S. is trending opposite of global congestion in 2013: Traffic congestion fell 18 percent across Europe in 2012 and continues to spiral downward in 2013, with a further 23 percent decline in the first quarter. Eighty-one of the 94 European cities analysed have experienced decreases in traffic congestion in Q1 2013.
- Not all congestion is created equal: In 2012, the worst travel corridors in the U.S. can cost their drivers 62 hours a year from sitting idle in gridlock, almost twice the national average (38 hours).
- Traffic as an indicator of economic health: When examined with employment data from 2012 and 2013, the Scorecard shows how observed shifts in traffic congestion serve as a key indicator of economic health.
- NEW: Holy Cross Ranks 41st in National Study by Forbes
- NEW: MA Ranks #1 in the US For Entrepreneurship
- NEW: Massachusetts Ranks Ninth in Percentage of Christians
- Best and Worst Run States in US - See Where Massachusetts Ranks
- NEW: Worcester Ranks #1 in Traffic Study
- Forbes Ranks Worcester #10 Best City to Raise a Family
- NEW: Worcester Ranks #319 on Safest Cities List, Beats Boston
- Massachusetts Ranks 30th for Freedom In National Report
- National Study Ranks Best and Worst Run States in America
- Massachusetts Ranks High For Start-Up Friendliness
- Worcester Ranks #1 Nationally for Health Care Access
- NEW: Gallup Poll: Massachusetts Ranks #4 In Least Religious States
- Worcester Ranks in Top 20 Strongest Metro Areas