Worcester’s Latin American Alliance Named Nonprofit Excellence Award Finalist
Tuesday, May 02, 2017
“We are honored to have received this award because it acknowledges our hard work as an organization to bring the best possible care to the men who come to our program. When we started the Latin American Health Alliance, we sought to address disparities in health care within the Latino community of Central Massachusetts. We believed that we could create a grassroots, community-based organization that would create a forward thinking approach to the growing opiate epidemic by focusing on the multiple individual needs of our clients. To have this model recognized is incredibly gratifying and to be included with such marvelous fellow recipients is humbling,” said Aaron M Mendel, MD, Executive Director of Latin American Health Alliance.
The awards will be presented at MNN’s annual celebration of Nonprofit Awareness Day at the State House on June 5.
"The Nonprofit Excellence Awards honor the important, innovative work being done by nonprofits in every subsector and corner of the Commonwealth. We are excited to celebrate the commitment, diversity, and effectiveness of these impressive finalists and the passion and impact of the 33,000 nonprofits and more than half a million nonprofit employees in Massachusetts,” said Jim Klocke, CEO of the Massachusetts Nonprofit Network.
Latin American Health Alliance
The Latin American Health Alliance tries to identify and address the health disparities that exist for Latinos living in Worcester. Latin American Health Alliance advocates for the Latino community and researches and responds to important social issues that affect the Worcester area Latino population.
Since it started, the Latin American Health Alliance’s training program, Cafe Reyes, has provided long term transitional housing to 63 residents and provided training for 95 men.
Related Slideshow: Top Massachusetts Non-Profit - 2015
- NEW: RI Foundation Announces $565K Awarded to 14 Nonprofits
- Central Mass. Nonprofits Suffering from Government Shutdown
- Law Favoring Nonprofits Has Stranglehold on Worcester’s Destiny
- Worcester Library Initiative Wins 2015 Nonprofit Excellence Award
- Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare Awards 18 MA Nonprofits With Grants
- Multi-Million Dollar Non-Profit Owns Overflowing Donation Bins in Worcester
- The Top 100 Non-Profits in Worcester Have Over $8 Billion in Assets
- The 50 Non-Profits in Worcester with the Most Liabilities
- #100 to #1: Non-Profits in Worcester with the Most Assets
- GoLocal Worcester’s 2014 Non-Profit of the Year: The Friendly House
- Six Worcester Non-Profits Receive Mini-Grants from Harvard Pilgrim
- The 25 Highest Paid Executives of the Wealthiest Non-Profits in Worcester
- Select Group of MA Non-Profits Named Best in Country - Two in Worcester
- Non-Profit of the Year in Central MA in 2015