Cheat Sheet 58, FBI Files: Patriarca and Coia, the Massive Effort to Prosecute
Monday, September 19, 2016
Make no mistake about it, the files are layered with information about a time where the scope and reach of the Patriarca crime family permeated nearly every aspect of life in New England.
PAGE 1 The massive FBI document outlining the ties between the Laborers’ International and a massive array of economic interests across the United States. The document in detail reviews the financial scheme.
An article by Dean Starkman and John Mulligan that appeared in Washington Monthly about Arthur E. Coia’s son that appeared in 1998 outlined the history of the union and its political influence:
Arthur Coia's father, Arthur Ettore Coia, was die general secretary-treasurer of the Laborers' International, which represents 750,000 unskilled workers in dozens of fields. Almost single-handedly, he molded the union into a political force that still holds Providence city hall in its grip. The union doled out pensions to City Council members and hired Providence political figures and their relatives. The old man had the ear of Rhode Island governors and the late House Speaker Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill Jr.
As previously disclosed in the Patriarca Papers - Arthur E. Coia, Raymond Patriarca and others were indicted. As the Boston Globe reported in October of 1981, “Raymond L.S. Patriarca, reputed head of The Mob in New England, was accused yesterday of conspiring to seize control of the insurance business of the Laborers International Union in the Northeast with the help of a union official, two Providence lawyers and a Winchester businessman.
The alleged scheme was described by the Justice Department when Patriarca and his four codefendants were arraigned on an indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Miami that has been investigating the role of organized crime and union leaders in a reported kickback racket.”
At the time of his indictment court appearance,“Patriarca walked into the Federal Building in Providence unassisted but left leaning on the arm of his attorney, John F. Cicilline of Providence. Cicilline has said Patriarca is not well enough for trial on murder charges in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
"I don't care if I die or go to prison, because they are going to keep harassing me - for what I don't know," Patriarca told US Magistrate Frederick R. DeCesaris.”
PAGE 38 “REDACT could obtain two to three million dollars quickly for the GALICO purchase and that the man behind getting the money was RAYMOND PATRIARCA.”
FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 58
- Cheat Sheet 57, FBI Files: Did Patriarca Run Laborers’ International
- Cheat Sheet 56, FBI Files: Raymond Patriarca Dies
- Cheat Sheet 55, FBI Files: FBI Source is Marked for Death, Col. Stone and Maj. Benjamin
- Cheat Sheet 54, FBI Files: FBI Track Alleged Bribes to NJ Governor Brendan Byrne
- Cheat Sheet 53, FBI Files: Key Witness is Killed
- Cheat Sheet 52, FBI Files: Federal Courts Battle Over Indictments of Coia and Patriarca
- Cheat Sheet 51, FBI Files: Indictment of Patriarca, Coia, & Other Laborers International
- Cheat Sheet 50, FBI Files: Winter Hill Gang, Bonded Vault, Bevilacqua’s Relationship with Patriarca
- Cheat Sheet 49, FBI Files: Las Vegas Casinos, RI Corruption, Callei Murder, Bonded Vault
- Cheat Sheet 48, FBI Files: Patriarca Asks to Appear on CBS News with Cronkite
- Cheat Sheet 47, FBI Files: Patriarca Runs His Crime Organization from Jail
- Cheat Sheet 46, FBI Files: Is Patriarca Losing Power? Gang War Coming?
- Cheat Sheet 45, FBI Files: Valachi Called to be Deposed in Patriarca’s Suit Against Boston Herald
- Cheat Sheet 44, FBI Files: 20 Murders, Coia, Worcester Cop
- Cheat Sheet 43, FBI Files: Nazis, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, and Civil Rights
- Cheat Sheet 42 The Patriarca Papers – Nazis, Negroes and Buying a Chevy Dealership
- Cheat Sheet 41, FBI Files: Bianco, Bombs Outlawed, Volpe and Warwick Musical Theatre
- Cheat Sheet 40, FBI Files: Collapse of the Bonanno Family, Bodies in a Car, Dynamite on the Engine