Cheat Sheet 21 The Patriarca Papers – Patriarca and Sinatra Business Partners
Monday, December 28, 2015
Make no mistake about it, the files are layered with information about a time where the scope and reach of the Patriarca crime family permeated nearly every aspect of life in New England.
PAGE 1 Governor Notte Clears the Way for Patriarca
“Informant stated that at the present time he has heard the Patriarca has an interest in a crap game being operated somewhere in North Providence, Rhode Island that the crap game has the approval of the Governor of the State of Rhode Island, John Notte, along with Chief of Police Jack De Stafno of North Providence Police. Lieutenant Peter O’Connell of the Rhode Island StatePolice is also aware of the game and none of the police mentioned will take any action against the game.”
Informant said that Colonel Harrie Gill of the Rhode Island State Police is the appointment of Governor Notte, that Gill may be also aware of this crap game but is taking a passive action towards gambling because of the approval of Governor Notte.
PAGE 8 Patriarca Embroiled in Boston Drug Trial
The Boston Record American newspaper ran a headline “Patriarca Linked to Defendants in Dope Sale Trial,” tied to a trial in which an undercover federal officer tried to buy narcotics from a Boston mobster. “He said he was not parting with his money without “the stuff.” REDACTED suggested (Ray) Patriarca was trusted ‘by your people in New York and us, and the $45,000 could be left with Patriarca until delivery. REDACTED said the ‘family’ (mafia) would not want to handle the ‘junk’ and they would have to tell “ray” the money was for cigarettes or something else.”
FBI documents unveil the elaborate financial issues tied to Berkshire Downs — a race track run and financed B.A. Dario (Dario Bacciocchi) who owned Lincoln Downs (today, Twin River) and was one of RI’s largest auto dealers. In addition, Patriarca was tied to the ownership. According to a Albany University Law School document - Singers Frank Sinatra and Tony Martin both had ownership interests in the track.
“Since it was a no-lose proposition, Berkshire Downs also likely had serious mob involvement. While ostensibly run by Rhode Island entrepreneur B.A. Dario (who also operated Lincoln Downs in Rhode Island) there was apparently significant involvement with Raymond Patriarca who was considered the longtime overall leader of the Mafia in New England.4 Interestingly enough also somewhat involved was Frank Sinatra who served for a time as a vice-president of the track.
Singer Tony Martin was also a director of the track. Dario claimed that he had interested the two performers in a meeting in Miami in the winter of 1962. Sinatra at a Congressional investigation in 1972 claimed to have made a $55,000 investment in Berkshire Downs in 1962 which he sold in 1963 after finding out that the without his knowledge he had been named a vice president of the track. He claimed to have bought the 5% interest in the track after the track‟s president Salvatore Rizzo had approached him in a nightclub in Atlantic City in August of 1962.7 Patriarca was alleged to have invested $215,000 in Berkshire. He denied the investment, and further denied ever meeting Sinatra,” according to the Albany Law paper.
PAGE 20 Governor of Massachusetts’ Father Brought in Dario
Dr. Charles Furcolo — the father of the former Governor of Massachusetts — brought in Dario too help fund the rest of the construction as Furcolo and his group of investors had run out of money.
Other members of the ownership group, “alleged that Dr. Furcolo boasted that his son controlled the State Racing Commission and the track would not get any race dates unless he, (former State Senator Joseph) Murphy, sold out resigned.”
PAGE 24 Patriarca’s Muscle Nazarian Killed - Patriarca’s Attorney Defends Alleged Killer
Jackie Nazarian, Patriarca’s longtime “muscle” was killed and Rudy Sciara was charged with the gangland murder. Patriarca’s longtime personal attorney Charles Curran served as Sciara’s defense attorney Charles Curran.
According to an informant, Patrairca was active in Sciara’s defense. The motivation for Patriarca’s change of opinion on Nazarian,”when Patriarca was hospitalized sometimes ago Nazarian was about bragging that he was going to take over when Patriarca died.”
It is reported by informants that Raymond Patriarca’s wife Helen’s health is failing. She is in a Boston Hospital hotel suffering from Asthma.
PAGE 88 Colonel Stone (of the Prov Police) Worried About Mob Penetration in the Department
“…these individuals are trying to get some individuals in the Providence Police Department who may try to furnish them with information as to the extent or knowledge of book making activities that Colonel Stone might posses. According to informant, colonel Stone is aware of this attempt by certain individuals to penetrate his department in regard to booking activities.”
FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 21
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 10 (Patriarca Lashes Out at the Newspaper)
- Cheat Sheet 10, FBI Files Unveils the Big Wedding, Patriarca’s Girl and Senate Testimony
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 11 (Patriarca Named a Top Hoodlum by FBI)
- Cheat Sheet 12, FBI Files: Patriarca and Robert Kennedy, $1M Suit Against Projo
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 12
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 9, Was Governor Notte Bribed?
- Cheat Sheet 9, FBI Files: Patriarca, Gov. Notte, Mayor Curley and So Much More
- Cheat Sheet 6, FBI Files Unveils Patriarca’s Ties to Port and Alleged Connection to Drugs
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 6
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 7
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 8
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 13 - Bugging the Office, Spying on a Race Track
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 14 (A Top Target of the FBI)
- Cheat Sheet 18, FBI Files: Big Mob Hit, Projo Asks RFK for FBI’s Files, Trouble from “Irishman”
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 17 (Brink’s Robbery Ties to Patriarca)
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 18 (Five Families Hit and a RFK Meeting)
- Cheat Sheet 19, FBI Files: FBI Worried Patriarca is Going to Kill IRS Agent
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 19 (Payment to Eisenhower for Nixon?)
- Cheat Sheet 17, FBI Files: Patriarca Ties to Brink’s Robbery and Jack Witschi’s Sports Arena
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 16 “even cut off his right arm”
- Cheat Sheet 14, FBI Files: IQ of 80, Dunes Hotel in Vegas and Howard Johnsons
- Cheat Sheet 15, FBI Files: Frank Costello, Auction of White City, and Miami Club
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 15
- Cheat Sheet 16, FBI Files: Did Patriarca Have Anything to do with Bugsy Siegel’s Murder?
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 20 (The Drug Trade)