slides: Cheat Sheet 51, FBI Files: Indictment of Patriarca, Coia, & Other Laborers International
Monday, July 25, 2016
Make no mistake about it, the files are layered with information about a time where the scope and reach of the Patriarca crime family permeated nearly every aspect of life in New England.
PAGE 3 The Supreme Court rules to uphold a lower court ruling that denies a request by the Providence Journal to release the illegal wiretaps of Raymond Patriarca’s office. NOTE: GoLocal has released much of the contents of those illegal wiretaps in the series.
PAGE 17 FBI Investigation into the Laborers International Union of North American for racketeering, running a corrupt organization, conspiracy, mail fraud and false statements.
PAGE 22 “On April 18, 1977 REDACTED Citizens’ Bank and Trust, Providence, Rhode Island was interviewed. He recalled meeting in March or April of 1976 with REDACTED and other in REDACTED office. He stated that the group was attempting to obtain a $5 million loan and the the loan limit at the Citizens’ Bank was only $1.4 million. He declined to comment on whether the package presented to him was fraudulent on its face.”
PAGE 26 “On May 10,1978, Roger A. Nault, former Labor Relations Consultant, Coia and Lepore, Ltd., Providence, Rhode Island, advised that sometime prior to June, 1976, REDACTED had met with an individual by the name of REDACTED. After meeting REDACTED came to Nault and told him that bigger and better things would be coming. REDACTED stated that he would be a millionaire.”
“A subsequent check of the State House records for Norcorp Equities, Inc. indicated that that company was incorporated on February 6, 1976 and that its directors were Albert J. LePore, Louis Ciaccia, Vincent Vallaro and that its incorporator was Albert J. LePore.”
PAGE 28 The ties between Patriarca and Laborers
PAGE 42 Laborers International donate $125,000 to President Carter’s Re-Election Committee
PAGE 57-58 Raymond Patriarca and four members of the Laborers International are arrested. According to a FBI memo, “”It was noted that when Patriarca appeared before the United States Magistrate, He seemed extremely distraught and made extemporaneous remarks in open court complaining of the succession of arrests which had recently occurred. He admitted he was a ‘bootlegger and a gambler’ prior to 1945, but he was innocent of all charges against him since then. He indicted that he believed he was being singled out for prosecution.”
PAGE 59-62 Outlines the scheme created by Patriarca and prominent members of the Laborers or associated with the organization.
Those charges in September:
Arthur E. Coia of Providence, secretary-treasurer of the Laborers International Union of North America;
his son, Arthur A. Coia, a Providence lawyer and business agent for the Laborers' Rhode Island District Council;
former state Rep. Albert Lepore, who was the younger's Coia's law partner;
and Joseph J. Vaccaro Jr. of Winchester, MA.
“United States Magistrate Hagopian rendered his decision after a lengthy hearing held on October 13, 1981 at which Patriarca’s REDACTED (two of those who testified were Dr. Barbara H. Roberts and Dr. Michael J. Faella), and three other physicians testified to Patriarca’s failing medical condition and the high probability that the stress of traveling REDACTED.
PAGE 96-97 “On November 30, 1981, Roger Nault, a key witness in the above captioned matter who has been enrolled in the U.S. marshal’s service (USMS) Witness Security Program (WSP) since 1978…that there was absolutely nothing that could be done for Nault inasmuch as he was receiving the scheduled amount of payment under the guidelines of the WSP.”
FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 51
- Cheat Sheet 39 - The Patriarca Papers (Patriarca’s Ongoing Hatred for Robert Kennedy)
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 39
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 40: Funneling Money to the MA Governor’s Race
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 41 (The Mafia Rules About Bombings)
- Cheat Sheet 42 The Patriarca Papers – Nazis, Negroes and Buying a Chevy Dealership
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 38: Ordering the Murder of Willie Marfeo
- Cheat Sheet 38 - The Patriarca Papers (Helen Patriarca Dies of Cancer, Numerous Hits Ordered)
- Cheat Sheet 36 - The Patriarca Papers (Union Problems for Gilbane, Sinatra, Nazi’s and Murders)
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 36, Getting Permission to Murder Someone
- Cheat Sheet 37 The Patriarca Papers – Stealing Typewriters, Flemmi, Barbosa, Italian Federal Judge
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 37, Did Patriarca’s Organization Own The Warwick Tent?
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 42 (Nazis, “Negroes” and La Cosa Nostra)
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 43 (Patriarca on Blacks, Jews and Education)
- Cheat Sheet 48, FBI Files: Patriarca Asks to Appear on CBS News with Cronkite
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 47 (Mob Radio Ad Infuriates Raymond Patriarca)
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 48 (Memo from Hoover to AG Mitchell)
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 49 (Bonded Vault Robbery Okayed By Patriarca)
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 50 (Patriarca and Bevilacqua’s Relationship)
- Cheat Sheet 47, FBI Files: Patriarca Runs His Crime Organization from Jail
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 46 (Secret Indictments Against Patriarca and Tameleo)
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 44 (Hoover’s Memo to Attorney General on Patriarca)
- Cheat Sheet 45, FBI Files: Valachi Called to be Deposed in Patriarca’s Suit Against Boston Herald
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 45 (How Murders Are Approved)
- Cheat Sheet 46, FBI Files: Is Patriarca Losing Power? Gang War Coming?
- Cheat Sheet 50, FBI Files: Winter Hill Gang, Bonded Vault, Bevilacqua’s Relationship with Patriarca