slides: Cheat Sheet 59, FBI Files: Coia’s Relationship with Patriarca, FBI and the Clintons
Monday, September 26, 2016
Make no mistake about it, the files are layered with information about a time where the scope and reach of the Patriarca crime family permeated nearly every aspect of life in New England.
This week’s documents focus mostly on the period of the mid-1970’s when events took place that led to the federal government to seek a grand jury indictment of Raymond Patriarca, Arthur E. Coia and others.
Much of the documents unveiled today are the files tied to that case, but that was not the only run in between the Feds and the Coia family and the Laborers' International Union.
As Newsweek wrote in May of 1996:
ARTHUR A. COIA HAS BEEN VERY good to the Democrats. His union, the Laborers' International, has given more than $3 million to the party since 1991. At a private meeting in the Oval Office in 1994, the president gave (Bill) Coia, an avid golfer, one of Clinton's personal clubs, a nine-iron. Last week Coia was vice chairman of a black-tie gala that netted the Democrats $12 million for the fall. The union boss sat at the same table with star attractions Robin Williams and Stevie Wonder.
Coia, who presides over 750,000 mostly low-wage construction and waste-removal workers, fancies himself a labor statesman; the presidential nine-iron is proudly displayed in a glass case at union headquarters in Washington. But Coia, who has also publicly hobnobbed with Hillary Clinton, is turning into a convenient target for Republicans searching for Democratic bogeymen.
PAGE 13 According to FBI documents one informant said,”She said ARTHUR E. COIA liked to have young ladies about him and would make general remarks to his associates to the effect that this was my girl.”
PAGE 31 Multiple affidavits for the hearings before the Permanent Subcommittee of Investigations of the Committee on Governmental Affairs, United States Senate.
PAGE 61 Meeting took place “when Dukakis was Governor of Massachusetts.”
FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 59
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 47 (Mob Radio Ad Infuriates Raymond Patriarca)
- Cheat Sheet 47, FBI Files: Patriarca Runs His Crime Organization from Jail
- Cheat Sheet 48, FBI Files: Patriarca Asks to Appear on CBS News with Cronkite
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 48 (Memo from Hoover to AG Mitchell)
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 49 (Bonded Vault Robbery Okayed By Patriarca)
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 46 (Secret Indictments Against Patriarca and Tameleo)
- Cheat Sheet 46, FBI Files: Is Patriarca Losing Power? Gang War Coming?
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 43 (Patriarca on Blacks, Jews and Education)
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 44 (Hoover’s Memo to Attorney General on Patriarca)
- Cheat Sheet 45, FBI Files: Valachi Called to be Deposed in Patriarca’s Suit Against Boston Herald
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 45 (How Murders Are Approved)
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 50 (Patriarca and Bevilacqua’s Relationship)
- Cheat Sheet 50, FBI Files: Winter Hill Gang, Bonded Vault, Bevilacqua’s Relationship with Patriarca
- PHOTOS: Patriarca’s Crime Family
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 55 Col. Stone Protecting a Source
- PHOTOS: Murders Tied to Patriarca Family (Warning Graphic)
- Cheat Sheet 56, FBI Files: Raymond Patriarca Dies
- Cheat Sheet 57, FBI Files: Did Patriarca Run Laborers’ International
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 54
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 53, Informant Wanted $140,000 Payment
- Cheat Sheet 51, FBI Files: Indictment of Patriarca, Coia, & Other Laborers International
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - Entry 51 (Patriarca Is Too Sick to Stand Trial)
- Cheat Sheet 52, FBI Files: Federal Courts Battle Over Indictments of Coia and Patriarca
- FBI Files - The Patriarca Papers - The Battle Between the Feds and Coia, Laborers, and Patriarca
- Cheat Sheet 58, FBI Files: Patriarca and Coia, the Massive Effort to Prosecute