MA Leaders Blast Trump for Ending DACA
Wednesday, September 06, 2017
Read their Statements Below:
Governor Charlie Baker
“President Trump made the wrong decision today that could negatively impact our economy and many of the Commonwealth’s families.
I hope Congress acts quickly to find a bipartisan, permanent solution to maintain the protections of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals recipients, which includes approximately 8,000 young Massachusetts residents who are right now serving in our economy while striving to give back to their communities.”
"Dreamers are our family, our friends, and our neighbors. They are part of the diverse and beautiful fabric of our nation. In 2012, because of the persistence of many of those Dreamers, we promised them a chance to live, work, learn, and contribute to this country without being ripped away from the only home most of them have ever known. We promised to protect the 800,000 DACA recipients from deportation.
President Trump wants to break that promise by ending DACA. President Trump's decision to subject Dreamers to mass deportation is part of the bigoted and anti-immigrant policies that have been a cornerstone of his administration. Turning our backs on Dreamers makes us weaker, makes us less safe, and betrays our values.
America should keep its promises, and if President Trump doesn't know that, then Congress must pass legislation to make the DACA program permanent. We cannot sit back while our family, friends, and neighbors are driven out of their homes. We must fight to protect Dreamers and protect DACA."
“Today’s decision by President Trump to rescind DACA yet again shows us the cruelty and ugliness of his Administration. Instead of displaying leadership on this issue and working with Congress on a solution rather than ending the program, the President has again given into his worst instincts and supported the voices of hate and bigotry.
“If President Trump actually took the time to talk to DREAMers, he would know that they are proud Americans who contribute to and grow our economy -- they are our neighbors, our friends, and members of our military. They are nurses, engineers, and entrepreneurs. Most were brought here as very young children and worked hard to become responsible community members.
“Forcing these young people to leave the only home they have ever known will needlessly destroy hundreds of thousands of families. Speaker Ryan and House Republicans must immediately bring up legislation to protect DREAMers from the Trump Administration’s heartless decision. Until then, DREAMers should know that the doors to my office are always open to anyone in need of assistance and my office will always be a safe haven.”
Senator Warren’s Blistering Letter to Trump
- Trump Nominates Gorsuch for Associate Justice of Supreme Court, Warren Announces Opposition
- Senator Elizabeth Warren Calls DeVos “Unqualified and Dangerous”
- Warren Issues Report on Financial Adviser Conflict-of-Interest Rule Threatened by Trump
- Warren Names Baker National Security Advisor for Washington DC Office
- Sen. Warren, Baldwin Seek Information on Goldman Sachs’ role in Trump’s Economic Policies
- Sen. Warren is “Deeply Concerned About What is to Come” in Puzder Confirmation Hearing
- Senators Warren, Toomey Place Bet on AFC Championship Game
- Sen. Warren Asks Government Accountability Office to Review Trump’s Transition
- Sen. Warren to Serve on Armed Services Committee in 115th Congress
- Warren, Dem. Senators Call for Mnuchin Hearing to Include Outside Witnesses
- Warren Questions Suitability of Health & Human Services Secretary Designate
- Warren Buffett Says Only 2-3 Newspapers Will Survive
- Warren Releases Report Detailing Labor Violations by Federal Contractors
- Sen. Warren Calls Republican Healthcare Bill a “Monstrosity”
- Warren, Markey Send Letter to White House Demanding Clarity on Bannon’s Compliance With Ethics Laws
- Warren Calls New Republican Healthcare Bill “Worst One Yet”
- Warren Gives Trump Failing Grade in “Drain the Swamp” Report Card
- Diehl Launches Facebook, Twitter Pages to Track Sen. Warren
- Warren Questions Ethics Office About White House Ethics Officer’s Conflicts of Interest
- Warren Helps Drive New Funding for Opioid Epidemic, Medical Research Government Spending
- Warren Launches Survey of MA Treatment Facilities
- Warren Questions Labor Secretary Nominee Acosta Before Confirmation Hearing
- Government Accountability Office Begins Investigation into Mar-a-Lago at Request of Sen. Warren
- Devine to Run for U.S. Senate Seat Against Warren
- Warren Visits General Dynamics Facility, Views Battlefield Communications Demonstration