Fecteau: Healthcare Bill from Hell
Wednesday, June 28, 2017
This is a morbid improvement over the U.S. House bill with an estimated 23 million people losing coverage, but still a shocking finding.
The U.S. Senate Republicans drafted this bill behind closed doors for a reason. This bill is cruel and flatly hurtful to the American people. U.S. Senators like Ted Cruz were debating a bill that would literally kill people. In fact, hundreds of thousands could die yearly under the Senate bill with no access to critical preventative care or affordable coverage.
This is indeed the healthcare bill from hell. The bill pays for tax cuts for high-income earners with healthcare coverage cuts to regular people – the sick, the meek, and the old (everyone unless you are rich). Apparently, the Republicans have shown, once again, money talks on Capitol Hill.
Despite promises from then Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on the campaign level, Medicaid is cut in the billions. Nevertheless, President Trump’s White House adviser Kellyanne Conway won’t call them cuts; she says “getting Medicaid back to where it was” pre-Obamacare (a complete, yet typical bald-faced lie we expect from Mrs. Conway).
After criticizing Obamacare as being in a death spiral, I guess Republicans fell in love with those alleged death spirals. In fact, Republicans are about to lite a match and burn the it down ensuring insurance is both unaffordable and unattainable to anyone not wealthy – the GOP way. By law, insurers will have to cover everyone, but would not mandate individuals buy insurance. This would ensure that “death spiral” that they claim was brought on by Obamacare; increasing premiums, deductibles, and copayments to unaffordable levels (the chief criticism of Obamacare!).
This terrible bill leaves a lot of people behind. Access to quality, affordable health care saves everyone money in the long-term, and more importantly, saves lives. Mr. Trump and Congress either fail to see that or simply don’t care – probably a combination.
In other words, it is business as usual on Capitol Hill with the GOP in control. Don’t worry though, their health care coverage won’t be cut – they are more important than peasants like you and me.
- Fecteau: A Responsibility to Protect in Syria
- Fecteau: That Red Line in Syria
- Fecteau: Trump’s War Power; U.S. Military Operations in Syria Are Constitutional
- Fecteau: Deal or No Deal - Iran-Trump Edition
- Fecteau: U.S.’s Trump Card on North Korea
- Fecteau: Climate Change and Trump
- Fecteau: Will Trump’s Tax Reform Plan be Another Epic Fail?
- Fecteau: Dire Choices on Syria
- Fecteau: Trump’s Terrifyingly Twisted Tweets
- Fecteau: Kennedy is Wrong on Weed
- Fecteau: Congress is Missing in Action on the War in Syria
- Fecteau: The Stupidity of Trumped-up Tax Cuts
- Fecteau: Trump’s Embarrassing First-100 Days
- Fecteau: Trump’s Revenge
- Fecteau: Qatar’s Terror Paradise
- Fecteau: The 51st State? Not Just Yet
- Fecteau: Adiós Cuba
- Fecteau: An Embargo Against North Korea
- Fecteau: A Somber Silver Lining in London
- Fecteau: Trump’s Toxic Reversal on Climate Change
- Fecteau: Trump’s Miscalculation On the Comey Firing
- Fecteau: Trump’s House of Cards: Season One
- Fecteau: Terror and Response
- Fecteau: Honor Our Fallen Heroes on Memorial Day
- Fecteau: Democrats Lose Again