Fecteau: The Dumb & Dumber Approach to Healthcare
Thursday, July 20, 2017
The GOP’s approach to health care seems dumb and dumber by the minute. The GOP seems to be bordering on obsessed with repealing Obamacare without any thought of those that will lose their coverage. This is heartless and cruel, but considering the GOP’s track record thus far; no one should be surprised.
Republican President Donald Trump via Twitter has said he would like to let Obamacare collapse, and then work on a new plan to replace Obamacare – even dumber. This would leave millions of Americans in limbo, and create more uncertainty.
The Republicans have so demonized Obamacare since its implementation that it has backed itself into a corner. The GOP has to continue on this path or face a massive backlash from the voters that believe Obamacare is a stepping stone to bigger government, but if the GOP repeal and/or replace it, the Republicans may also feel repercussions from those being stripped of their health care – not an easy choice to make.
While Obamacare has some serious flaws, the law has expanded health care coverage to millions, and it should be improved, not scrapped; this is common sense. The law has some deficiencies, and those deficiencies should be addressed to reduce the cost associated with Obamacare, but it doesn’t need to be replaced or even repealed. Simple modifications to the law would lessen the financial burden placed on regular Americans. That is something the GOP refuses to discuss or explore.
Obamacare addressed serious healthcare shortfalls the status quo simply did not, but tell that to the GOP. All American voters should take notice of this reckless approach to their health care for this is something that should be a consideration next time they vote at the ballot box.
Healthcare is something that shouldn’t be toyed with for cheap political points. Yet, in today’s toxically partisan political world, everything is on the table, including American lives.
Related Slideshow: Trump Inauguration
- Fecteau: Trump’s War Power; U.S. Military Operations in Syria Are Constitutional
- Fecteau: A Responsibility to Protect in Syria
- Fecteau: Deal or No Deal - Iran-Trump Edition
- Fecteau: U.S.’s Trump Card on North Korea
- Fecteau: The Stupidity of Trumped-up Tax Cuts
- Fecteau: That Red Line in Syria
- Fecteau: Climate Change and Trump
- Fecteau: Trump’s Terrifyingly Twisted Tweets
- Fecteau: Kennedy is Wrong on Weed
- Fecteau: Congress is Missing in Action on the War in Syria
- Fecteau: Will Trump’s Tax Reform Plan be Another Epic Fail?
- Fecteau: Trump’s Embarrassing First-100 Days
- Fecteau: Trump’s Miscalculation On the Comey Firing
- Fecteau: The 51st State? Not Just Yet
- Fecteau: Trump’s Revenge
- Fecteau: Adiós Cuba
- Fecteau: An Embargo Against North Korea
- Fecteau: Democrats Lose Again
- Fecteau: Qatar’s Terror Paradise
- Fecteau: A Somber Silver Lining in London
- Fecteau: Trump’s House of Cards: Season One
- Fecteau: Terror and Response
- Fecteau: Honor Our Fallen Heroes on Memorial Day
- Fecteau: Trump’s Toxic Reversal on Climate Change
- Fecteau: Healthcare Bill from Hell