Fecteau: Trump’s Revenge
Saturday, June 10, 2017
President Donald Trump is mad; in fact, very mad. Trump is particularly upset about former FBI Director James Comey’s testimony before the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee. Of the many chestnuts that came from the testimony, Mr. Trump is most irate Comey leaked an unclassified, non-sensitive document detailing their encounters. The intent of this leak was to trigger a special counsel investigation into the Trump administration’s ties to Russia.
These thorough exchanges read more like a novel and seem more appropriate for the script of a gangster movie than interactions with a sitting president. At one point, Trump even demanded Comey pledge loyalty to him. “I need loyalty, I expect loyalty,” Trump said during a private dinner.
A number of other admissions were significant as well. Comey revealed that Trump pressured him to drop the investigation of ex-former National Security Director Michael Flynn; this could lead to potential obstruction of justice charges against Trump later on. Comey also said there was no doubt Russian state-sponsored individuals tried to influence the election. On Twitter, Mr. Trump called Comey a “leaker.”
Some speculate Mr. Trump is leaving open the possibility for legal action. This should come to no surprise from a man – Mr. Trump – that threatened to imprison his Democratic presidential competitor, Hillary Clinton. Mr. Trump doesn’t seem to care too much about the Russian probe. He is more concerned about loyalty above all else and getting even.
Is this a good way to run a business? Considering Mr. Trump’s numerous bankruptcies probably not. Is this a good way to run a government? The American people deserve an objective, sincere advocate, willing to maintain a modest brand of integrity, keeping our politicians honest, but in the Trump era, that is a very tall order.
Will Mr. Trump push for charges against Comey? We will soon see, but unfortunately, knowing Mr. Trump, anything is possible. He even once filed a lawsuit against comedian Bill Maher for a satirical joke. During Trump’s inquiry into President Barak Obama’s birth certificate, Maher told the media and his audience he believed Mr. Trump was the son of an orangutan.
Maher additionally offered $5 million dollars to anyone who could prove otherwise. Trump came forward with appropriate documentation and sued Maher for $5 million dollars. Mr. Trump voluntarily withdrew the lawsuit – perhaps he was sick of being a laughingstock.
But what does this say? Mr. Trump is a man willing to use our justice system as a tool to get even with his rivals. He will sink to any depths to intimidate, and coerce anyone he believes has done him wrong. Needless to say, this is the man we elected as our president, and this is the man that is upset with Mr. Comey. For Mr. Trump, it is all about revenge, and as Don Vito Corleone said in the Godfather, “Revenge is a dish best served cold.”
Trump is now getting ready to serve.
Related Slideshow: Trump Inauguration
- Fecteau: Kennedy is Wrong on Weed
- Fecteau: Trump’s Terrifyingly Twisted Tweets
- Fecteau: Congress is Missing in Action on the War in Syria
- Fecteau: Will Trump’s Tax Reform Plan be Another Epic Fail?
- Fecteau: Climate Change and Trump
- Fecteau: Dire Choices on Syria
- Fecteau: Chafee’s Wrong on Russia
- Fecteau: Trump’s Border Wall is a Red Herring
- Fecteau: Reconsider the Ban on Syrian Refugees
- Fecteau: President Trump, Don’t Touch Dodd-Frank!
- Fecteau: What is Going on Between Trump and Russia?
- Fecteau: That Red Line in Syria
- Fecteau: A Responsibility to Protect in Syria
- Fecteau: Terror and Response
- Fecteau: Trump’s House of Cards: Season One
- Fecteau: Honor Our Fallen Heroes on Memorial Day
- Fecteau: Trump’s Toxic Reversal on Climate Change
- Fecteau: A Somber Silver Lining in London
- Fecteau: Trump’s Miscalculation On the Comey Firing
- Fecteau: Trump’s Embarrassing First-100 Days
- Fecteau: Trump’s War Power; U.S. Military Operations in Syria Are Constitutional
- Fecteau: Deal or No Deal - Iran-Trump Edition
- Fecteau: U.S.’s Trump Card on North Korea
- Fecteau: The Stupidity of Trumped-up Tax Cuts
- Fecteau: Qatar’s Terror Paradise