House Dem Caucus Approves McGovern’s Nomination to Serve as Chair of House Rules Committee
Friday, December 21, 2018
McGovern was initially appointed to the House Rules Committee in 2001 and was named ranking member last year.
He was elected to the House of Representatives in 1996 after working for Congressman Moakley from 1982 until 1996, serving as a staff assistant, press secretary, and legislative director.
McGovern released the following statement:
“I want to thank Leader Pelosi for her continued leadership and for the opportunity to lead this committee. I’m grateful to have the support of my colleagues across the Democratic Caucus as well.
Massachusetts has a long and proud history with the House Rules Committee. Massachusetts Congressman Thomas P. ‘Tip’ O’Neill Jr. served on this committee before becoming Speaker of the House. Speaker O’Neill appointed my friend and mentor, Massachusetts Congressman Joe Moakley, to the committee, where he later became chairman.
They taught me that you don’t have to agree on everything to agree on something, and that good people can disagree and still work together to get things done. Their example will guide me as I lead the Rules Committee at such an important time for our state and nation. This Republican Congress has been the most closed Congress in history, leading to more brinksmanship and legislative breakdown.
The American people demanded a new direction. That means making the House Rules Committee the place where big ideas are debated once again instead of being where democracy goes to die.
I look forward to instituting a more accommodating process that helps restore the integrity of this institution as the Democratic Majority advances an agenda that works for all Americans.”
- McGovern Visits Worcester Regional Airport to Celebrate 20,000th Charter Flight
- McGovern Celebrates Installation of New Bike Exhibit in Worcester
- McGovern, 75 House Dems Introduce Censure Resolution Against Trump
- McGovern Kicks Off 7th Annual MA Farm Tour
- McGovern Presents Medals to Leominster Veterans & Military Families
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Proposed Budget “Heartless”
- McGovern Joins Petition to Force Vote on Independent Investigation Into Trump-Russia Ties
- McGovern, Petty Send Letter to Trump Criticizing Executive Orders on Immigration
- McGovern Says Passing Trumpcare “Requires Heart of Stone”
- Congressman McGovern Slams Republican Party Over Latest Shutdown Threat
- McGovern Calls GOP Healthcare Bill Process a “Goddamn Mess”
- McGovern Blasts Trump for Decertifying the Iran Deal
- McGovern, Congress Members Demand Answers on Health of Narragansett Bay
- McGovern Blasts Republicans for Proposed Balanced Budget Amendment
- McGovern Blasts GOP Over Lack of Gun Safety Legislation
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Withdrawal from Iran Deal “Reckless & Dangerous”
- McGovern Names Bonaccorsi Communications Director
- Holy Cross Football to Induct Bill & Rob McGovern Into Legends Ring Of Honor
- McGovern to Take YWCA Supervisor Huard to State of the Union
- McGovern Blasts Trump’s Move to End Protected Status for Immigrants from El Salvador
- McGovern Leads 43-Mile Hunger March Across Western MA
- McGovern Announces That MA Walk to Fight Hunger Raises Over 236K
- McGovern Blasts Passage of Republican Tax Bill
- McGovern Calls for Heating Assistance During Winter Storm