video: McGovern Blasts Republican Bill Forcing SNAP Recipients to Pass Drug Test
Saturday, February 13, 2016
Congressman Jim McGovern called out a Republican bill on Friday that would let states use drug testing to determine low-income Americans' eligibility to receive food assistance through SNAP, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
“This is nothing more than an attempt to demonize poor people and has no basis in reality. Similar laws in Florida and Georgia were struck down as unconstitutional and only waste thousands of taxpayer dollars to identify very few drug users. In fact, those receiving public assistance actually test positive at a lower rate than the general population," said McGovern.
McGovern added "SNAP is intended to help people put food on the table when they’re struggling to find work, when their current job isn’t paying enough, or simply when they’ve fallen on hard times. We should be talking about improving the SNAP benefit so families can afford nutritious food – not creating more insulting hoops for vulnerable families to have to jump through."
- Congressman McGovern to Help Plant 14 Trees at Roosevelt School in Worcester
- Railroad Owner Reacts to McGovern’s Safe Communities Act
- McGovern Leads Groundbreaking for New Bike Path in Worcester
- Is Mayoral Race a Precursor to Gaffney Challenging McGovern?
- Nancy Pelosi and Rep. McGovern To Hold Hunger Roundtable
- McGovern Wants Residents to Have a Say in LPG Sites
- McGovern Welcomes $2 Million Worcester Innovation Center
- $3 Million Athletic Field Secured by Congressman McGovern
- Rep. McGovern Named Ranking Democrat on Nutrition Subcommittee
- McGovern Named One of 50 Most Powerful People in Food
- McGovern Announces $1 Million to WRTA to Increase Reliability of Green Buses
- McGovern and Petty Release Statements on Worcester Shootings
- McGovern Honors Vietnam Vet Bob LaRose with Army Medals
- McGovern to Host Central MA Muslim Community Leader at State of Union
- McGovern Blasts House GOP Bill Taking Healthcare Away From 22 Million Americans
- McGovern Calls Out Speaker Ryan Over Block Grant System
- McGovern Approves of Obama’s $1.1 Billion to Address Opioid Epidemic
- McGovern, Members of Congress Call For War Debate in Letter to Speaker Ryan
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Jim McGovern, U.S. Congressman
- McGovern Forces Vote on Legislation to Keep Guns From Terrorists
- Congressman McGovern Visits and Reads to Local Webster Students
- Congressman McGovern Approves of $133 Million in Energy Assistance
- Congressman McGovern Names Chandler Chief of Staff
- Governor Baker No on Syrian Refugees, McGovern Yes