McGovern Attends House Democrats Sit-in Demanding Action Against Gun Violence
Thursday, June 23, 2016
The sit-in follows the deadliest mass shooting in American history in Orlando.
McGovern had the following to say on the sit-in and gun violence:
Americans deserve a Congress that will finally debate and vote on commonsense legislation to stop gun violence. Orlando was just the latest mass shooting and it breaks my heart to say it probably won’t be the last. We must not leave the Capitol without taking action to prevent the next tragedy.
Congress has sadly become a place where trivial issues get debated passionately and important ones not at all. Today, Speaker Ryan scheduled a vote to weaken the Affordable Care Act for the 62nd time. It's pathetic. We should find the time to debate legislation that could actually save lives.
This is a moment of truth. We can no longer remain silent as gun violence continues to ravage so many communities across the country. I am proud to join Congressman John Lewis, my fellow members of the Massachusetts delegation, and Democrats from both the House and Senate today to say to Speaker Ryan and House Republicans enough is enough. Let the People’s House vote on commonsense gun violence prevention legislation that is overwhelmingly supported by the American people. We will not rest until Congress shows the courage to act to strengthen background checks and keep guns out of the hands of criminals and suspected terrorists.”
What the House Democrats Want
House Democrats are calling on Speaker Ryan and House Republicans to allow an immediate vote on bipartisan, commonsense gun violence prevention legislation to help keep guns out of dangerous hands with two bills.
The two bills proposed are:
· The bipartisan King-Thompson legislation to expand and strengthen our background checks system;
· The bipartisan ‘No Fly, No Buy’ bill to keep guns out of the hands of suspected terrorists.
- Congressman McGovern Names Chandler Chief of Staff
- Congressman McGovern Approves of $133 Million in Energy Assistance
- Governor Baker No on Syrian Refugees, McGovern Yes
- McGovern Forces Vote on Legislation to Keep Guns From Terrorists
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Jim McGovern, U.S. Congressman
- Congressman McGovern Visits and Reads to Local Webster Students
- McGovern Honors Vietnam Vet Bob LaRose with Army Medals
- McGovern Leads Groundbreaking for New Bike Path in Worcester
- Is Mayoral Race a Precursor to Gaffney Challenging McGovern?
- Nancy Pelosi and Rep. McGovern To Hold Hunger Roundtable
- McGovern and Petty Release Statements on Worcester Shootings
- McGovern Blasts House GOP Bill Taking Healthcare Away From 22 Million Americans
- McGovern to Host Central MA Muslim Community Leader at State of Union
- Congressman McGovern Visits Worcester as Part of Affordable Housing Tour
- McGovern Meets With 2015 Congressional App Challenge Winners for MA
- Cong McGovern and Sen Warren Praise Collapse of Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline Plan
- Congressman McGovern Praises Massachusetts for Efforts to Reduce Food Waste
- Congressman McGovern Honors Officer Tarentino on House Floor
- McGovern Speaks on Overnight Stay at Homeless Shelter
- GoLocalWorcester: 1-on-1 with Cong. McGovern on Worcester Homelessness
- McGovern Calls Out Speaker Ryan Over Block Grant System
- McGovern Approves of Obama’s $1.1 Billion to Address Opioid Epidemic
- McGovern, Members of Congress Call For War Debate in Letter to Speaker Ryan
- McGovern Blasts Republican Bill Forcing SNAP Recipients to Pass Drug Test
- McGovern Blasts Speaker Ryan’s Poverty Agenda