video: McGovern Blasts Republicans for Proposed Balanced Budget Amendment
Thursday, April 12, 2018
“The so-called Balanced Budget Amendment could do irreparable harm to our economy. It would hinder Congress’ ability to respond appropriately to an economic crisis, and could potentially even create one. It could even require Congress to cut funding for safety net programs that millions of our constituents rely on – programs like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Supplemental Security Income, and Veterans’ Pensions. This Balanced Budget Amendment is supposed to trick people into believing Republicans still care about fiscal responsibility,” said McGovern.
This will be the seventh time a balanced budget amendment has been voted on in the House.
McGovern also called on Republicans to focus on “urgent issues” that are facing the country.
“Quite frankly, I had hoped that when we returned from our Easter break, that we would be debating and voting on legislation that would help people. I had hoped that, maybe, we would be able to finally help the hundreds of thousands of DREAMers whose lives are now in limbo because of President Trump’s decision to end DACA.
I had also hoped that we would do something to address the epidemic of gun violence in this country. Instead, what we’re doing is another bill to help the financial services industry…The Republican leadership of this House is ignoring the most pressing issues facing our country and our constituents, in favor of more legislation to rollback financial protections put into place to prevent another financial crisis.”
- Congressman McGovern Slams Republican Party Over Latest Shutdown Threat
- McGovern Says Passing Trumpcare “Requires Heart of Stone”
- McGovern Calls GOP Healthcare Bill Process a “Goddamn Mess”
- McGovern Joins Petition to Force Vote on Independent Investigation Into Trump-Russia Ties
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Proposed Budget “Heartless”
- McGovern, Petty Send Letter to Trump Criticizing Executive Orders on Immigration
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Budget Proposal “Reckless”
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Congressman McGovern: America Cannot Afford Trump’s Nuclear Arms Race
- McGovern Wraps Up Trip to Cuba to Promote U.S. Economic Development
- McGovern Reintroduces Bill Overturning Citizens United
- McGovern Celebrates Installation of New Bike Exhibit in Worcester
- McGovern Blasts Passage of Republican Tax Bill
- McGovern Announces That MA Walk to Fight Hunger Raises Over 236K
- McGovern Calls for Heating Assistance During Winter Storm
- McGovern Blasts Trump’s Move to End Protected Status for Immigrants from El Salvador
- McGovern to Take YWCA Supervisor Huard to State of the Union
- McGovern Leads 43-Mile Hunger March Across Western MA
- McGovern, Congress Members Demand Answers on Health of Narragansett Bay
- McGovern, 75 House Dems Introduce Censure Resolution Against Trump
- McGovern Visits Worcester Regional Airport to Celebrate 20,000th Charter Flight
- McGovern Kicks Off 7th Annual MA Farm Tour
- McGovern Presents Medals to Leominster Veterans & Military Families
- McGovern Blasts Trump for Decertifying the Iran Deal
- McGovern Blasts GOP Over Lack of Gun Safety Legislation