McGovern Calls Out Speaker Ryan Over Block Grant System
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
“This is the 10th hearing on SNAP. And some have wondered – ‘to what end?’ Well, Speaker Ryan and Republican presidential candidates gave us the answer last Saturday at their so-called forum on poverty in South Carolina. And I have to say, I’m deeply troubled. We’ve known for a long-time that Speaker Ryan supports block granting SNAP. We’ve seen it year after year in his budgets. But, if that’s where all of this is going – that’s bad news for poor people," said McGovern.
The hearing was titled "Past, Present and Future of SNAP: Addressing Special Population," and is the 10th in a series of hearings focused on SNAP. Speaker Ryan highlighted his plan last weekend at a GOP poverty forum that he hosted in South Carolina.
“Proposals like Speaker Ryan’s to block grant SNAP would decimate one of the key features of the program – its ability to quickly respond to an economic downturn. That when the breadwinner in a household loses his or her job, a family can quickly access SNAP to keep food on the table while they get back on their feet," said McGovern.
McGovern concluded “We shouldn’t change the entitlement structure of SNAP. Block granting SNAP is a bad idea. Period. It would make hunger worse in this country and I urge my colleagues to think twice about going down the dangerous road of block grants."
- McGovern Announces $1 Million to WRTA to Increase Reliability of Green Buses
- McGovern Named One of 50 Most Powerful People in Food
- McGovern Welcomes $2 Million Worcester Innovation Center
- McGovern Wants Residents to Have a Say in LPG Sites
- Railroad Owner Reacts to McGovern’s Safe Communities Act
- Rep. McGovern Named Ranking Democrat on Nutrition Subcommittee
- $3 Million Athletic Field Secured by Congressman McGovern
- McGovern Announces $3 Million Federal Grant to Help End Veteran Homelessness
- McGovern and Markey Visit WPI to Tour Robotics Lab
- U.S. Rep McGovern To Distribute Thanksgiving Meals in Worcester
- Statement From Congressman McGovern: Regarding The Presidents U.S.- Cuba Policy and Alan Gross
- Congressman McGovern to Help Plant 14 Trees at Roosevelt School in Worcester
- McGovern Leads Groundbreaking for New Bike Path in Worcester
- Governor Baker No on Syrian Refugees, McGovern Yes
- Congressman McGovern Names Chandler Chief of Staff
- McGovern Forces Vote on Legislation to Keep Guns From Terrorists
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Jim McGovern, U.S. Congressman
- McGovern Blasts House GOP Bill Taking Healthcare Away From 22 Million Americans
- Congressman McGovern Approves of $133 Million in Energy Assistance
- Congressman McGovern Visits and Reads to Local Webster Students
- Is Mayoral Race a Precursor to Gaffney Challenging McGovern?
- Nancy Pelosi and Rep. McGovern To Hold Hunger Roundtable
- McGovern and Petty Release Statements on Worcester Shootings
- McGovern Honors Vietnam Vet Bob LaRose with Army Medals
- McGovern to Host Central MA Muslim Community Leader at State of Union