McGovern Calls Trump’s Withdrawal from Iran Deal “Reckless & Dangerous”
Wednesday, May 09, 2018
“I am announcing today that the United States will withdraw from the Iran Nuclear Deal. In a few moments, I will sign a Presidential memorandum to begin reinstating U.S. Nuclear Sanctions on the Iranian regime. We will be instituting the highest level of economic sanction. Any nation that helps Iran in its quest for nuclear weapons could also be strongly sanctioned by the United States,” Trump said during a press conference at the White House on Tuesday.
He continued, “America will not be held hostage to nuclear blackmail. We will not allow American cities to be threatened with destruction and we will not allow a regime that chants ‘death to America’ to gain access to the most deadly weapons on earth.”
Trump also announced that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was headed to North Korea to continue discussions with Kim Jong-un about the meeting.
“President Trump’s decision to pull out of the Iran Deal by not extending waivers on Iran sanctions is one of the most reckless and dangerous things he’s done since taking office.
In the absence of any concrete evidence of an Iranian violation, the President’s rash decision to violate the JCPOA isolates us from our international partners who worked diligently with us and negotiated in good faith to bring about this landmark agreement that closed all pathways to Iran’s nuclear weapon activities. Ironically, Iran might now decide to resume its quest for nuclear weapons and can rightfully blame the U.S. for violating the agreement.
Walking away from the JCPOA will add to escalating tensions in the region and the threat of war or military confrontation with Iran becomes more likely. Successfully confronting Iran’s hostile actions elsewhere has just been made more difficult now that Trump has abandoned the JCPOA.
Just weeks away from U.S. talks with North Korea aimed at decreasing tensions and limiting the nuclear threat posed by that country, President Trump has demonstrated that his word and the credibility of the United States cannot be trusted.
By abandoning the Iran Deal, as well as adding other poorly-conceived unilateral sanctions and conditions against Iran, President Trump has put America’s national security at risk and the threat of a nuclear-armed Iran back on the table.
Americans deserve better from their leaders. I urge President Trump to immediately reconsider this dangerous move and put the safety of the American people first by reversing this terrible decision.”
- McGovern Calls GOP Healthcare Bill Process a “Goddamn Mess”
- Congressman McGovern Slams Republican Party Over Latest Shutdown Threat
- McGovern Joins Petition to Force Vote on Independent Investigation Into Trump-Russia Ties
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Proposed Budget “Heartless”
- McGovern Celebrates Installation of New Bike Exhibit in Worcester
- McGovern Says Passing Trumpcare “Requires Heart of Stone”
- McGovern, Petty Send Letter to Trump Criticizing Executive Orders on Immigration
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Congressman McGovern: America Cannot Afford Trump’s Nuclear Arms Race
- McGovern Wraps Up Trip to Cuba to Promote U.S. Economic Development
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Budget Proposal “Reckless”
- McGovern Visits Worcester Regional Airport to Celebrate 20,000th Charter Flight
- McGovern, 75 House Dems Introduce Censure Resolution Against Trump
- McGovern Calls for Heating Assistance During Winter Storm
- McGovern Blasts Passage of Republican Tax Bill
- McGovern Blasts Trump’s Move to End Protected Status for Immigrants from El Salvador
- McGovern to Take YWCA Supervisor Huard to State of the Union
- McGovern Blasts GOP Over Lack of Gun Safety Legislation
- McGovern Announces That MA Walk to Fight Hunger Raises Over 236K
- McGovern Reintroduces Bill Overturning Citizens United
- McGovern Leads 43-Mile Hunger March Across Western MA
- McGovern Kicks Off 7th Annual MA Farm Tour
- McGovern Presents Medals to Leominster Veterans & Military Families
- McGovern Blasts Trump for Decertifying the Iran Deal
- McGovern, Congress Members Demand Answers on Health of Narragansett Bay
- McGovern Blasts Republicans for Proposed Balanced Budget Amendment