McGovern Joins Petition to Force Vote on Independent Investigation Into Trump-Russia Ties
Thursday, May 18, 2017
The petition comes after new reports show that President Trump tried to shut down the FBI’s investigation of his campaign and ties to Russia.
“Every day it seems new evidence emerges showing how deep the Trump-Russia connection goes. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. Now is the time for Congress to find the fire and get the facts and we can only do that a fully independent bipartisan commission,” said McGovern.
Recent polling shows that 78% of Americans want an independent investigation.
“For too long, Republican leaders in Congress have stood in the way of the full, independent investigation the American people deserve. We must have an independent, outside commission to investigate the Trump-Russia connection and the possibility of collusion to influence the presidential election without the meddling of the Trump Administration,” McGovern added.
In July 2016, the FBI opened an investigation into possible collusion between Trump campaign officials and the Russian government.
Last week, President Trump admitted on national television that he fired FBI Director James Comey to try to stop his investigation into Trump-Russia ties.
On Monday, it was reported that Trump compromised highly classified intelligence to the Russians and jeopardized the security of the American people – the day after he fired Comey.
Related Slideshow: Trump Inauguration
- Average Worcester Resident to Do Better Under Trumpcare than Obamacare Says New Study
- Ascentria Care Alliances Cuts Back Services, Staff as a Result of Trump Executive Orders
- McGovern Says Passing Trumpcare “Requires Heart of Stone”
- Horowitz: Trump Has Opportunity to Reset on Health Care
- Fecteau: Will Trump’s Tax Reform Plan be Another Epic Fail?
- McGovern, Petty Send Letter to Trump Criticizing Executive Orders on Immigration
- Clark to Host Lecture on Rise of Donald Trump
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Mr. Trump’s Thank-You Notes, Small Talk + Dating
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Budget Proposal “Reckless”
- Trump and North Korea: Expert at Naval War College in Newport Weighs In
- Weiss: Trump Budget Proposal Makes Draconian Cuts to Aging Programs
- Fecteau: Climate Change and Trump
- Horowitz: Progress On Climate Change is Possible Despite Trump
- Fecteau: Trump’s Embarrassing First-100 Days
- Fecteau: The Stupidity of Trumped-up Tax Cuts
- Horowitz: President Trump’s First 100 Days
- Fecteau: Trump’s Miscalculation On the Comey Firing
- Horowitz: Trump Incompetently Abuses Power
- Fecteau: U.S.’s Trump Card on North Korea
- Fecteau: Deal or No Deal - Iran-Trump Edition
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Mrs. Trump’s Bad Table Manners, Weddings + More
- Fecteau: Trump’s War Power; U.S. Military Operations in Syria Are Constitutional
- Sunday Political Brunch—April 16, 2017: Trump Changing His Tune
- Horowitz: Trump Has It Backwards on Releasing His Taxes
- Fecteau: Trump’s House of Cards: Season One