McGovern, Petty Send Letter to Trump Criticizing Executive Orders on Immigration
Monday, March 20, 2017
The letter was signed by people who attended a pro-immigration rally at City Hall on January 31 that was organized by members of the SURJ (Showing Up for Racial Justice) Coalition and Mayor Joseph M. Petty.
"Our country has long stood as a beacon of hope to the world with the Statue of Liberty welcoming generations of families in search of safety and a better life. Turning our backs on the innocent women, children, and families desperate to escape violence is not only callous and wrong, it is deeply un-American,” the letter says.
The letter closes with a request to rescind the executive orders on immigration.
"Since our city's founding immigrants have been the backbone of our economy and for over a century Worcester has welcomed refugees. We urge you to listen to Americans across the country and reject this hate-driven policy by immediately rescinding this executiveorder."
The letter was signed by StateSenators Harriette Chandler and Michael Moore, State Representatives Jim O'Day, John Mahoney, Mary Keefe, Dan Donahue, City Councilors Khrystian King, Candy Mero-Carlson, Sarai Rivera, and School Committee Members Dianna Biancheria, John Foley, Molly McCullough, John Monfredo, and Brian O'Connell. The letter was also signed over I 000 City of Worcester and Worcester County residents.
Related Slideshow: Trump Inauguration
- McGovern Meets With 2015 Congressional App Challenge Winners for MA
- McGovern Speaks on Overnight Stay at Homeless Shelter
- Congressman McGovern Visits Worcester as Part of Affordable Housing Tour
- Cong McGovern and Sen Warren Praise Collapse of Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline Plan
- Congressman McGovern Praises Massachusetts for Efforts to Reduce Food Waste
- GoLocalWorcester: 1-on-1 with Cong. McGovern on Worcester Homelessness
- McGovern Blasts Republican Bill Forcing SNAP Recipients to Pass Drug Test
- McGovern to Host Central MA Muslim Community Leader at State of Union
- McGovern Calls Out Speaker Ryan Over Block Grant System
- McGovern Approves of Obama’s $1.1 Billion to Address Opioid Epidemic
- McGovern, Members of Congress Call For War Debate in Letter to Speaker Ryan
- Congressman McGovern Honors Officer Tarentino on House Floor
- McGovern Blasts Speaker Ryan’s Poverty Agenda
- McGovern Honors Worcester Military Service Veteran McGrath Jr.
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Congressman McGovern: America Cannot Afford Trump’s Nuclear Arms Race
- McGovern Wraps Up Trip to Cuba to Promote U.S. Economic Development
- McGovern Reintroduces Bill Overturning Citizens United
- McGovern Blasts GOP Efforts to Cut Food Assistance to the Poor
- LePage Receives Congressional Recognition from McGovern for New England Pride TV
- McGovern Attends House Democrats Sit-in Demanding Action Against Gun Violence
- Congressman McGovern to Help Community Servings Serve 100,000th Meal
- McGovern Approves of Obama Administration’s Call for $1.1 Billion to Address Opioids
- McGovern Calls Out Republicans for Failure to Act on Public Health Crises
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Budget Proposal “Reckless”