video: McGovern Reintroduces Bill Overturning Citizens United
Sunday, March 12, 2017
See the Video Below
“It’s been seven years since the dreadful Citizens United ruling. In upholding the rights of corporations to donate to political campaigns under the First Amendment, the Supreme Court created an election system that is now corrupted by limitless, unregulated donations. Ordinary citizens are left powerless and politicians are increasingly beholden to wealthy special interests,” McGovern said.
I am reintroducing the People’s Rights Amendment to overturn Citizens United and declare, once and for all, that corporations are not people. The Constitution was never intended to give corporations the same rights as the American people. Corporations don’t breathe. They don’t have kids. They don’t die in wars,” McGovern said.
McGovern was one of the first national leaders to speak out against Citizens United in 2011 and is the lead sponsor of the Democracy for All Amendment.
“Since Citizens United, we’ve seen a major telecommunications company, oil companies, and the tobacco industry all attempt to dismantle regulations and disclosure rules by claiming First Amendment rights,” said McGovern.
Joining Congressman McGovern to introduce the bill were Representatives Stephen Lynch (MA-08), Steven Cohen (TN-09), Jim Langevin (RI-02), Peter Defazio (OR), Bill Keating (MA-09), Mark Takano (CA-41) Peter Welch (VT-AL), Chellie Pingree (ME-01), Michael Capuano (MA-07), Jim Cooper (TN-05), Raul Grijalva (AZ-03) and David Loebsack (IA-02).
- GoLocalWorcester: 1-on-1 with Cong. McGovern on Worcester Homelessness
- McGovern Blasts Republican Bill Forcing SNAP Recipients to Pass Drug Test
- McGovern Speaks on Overnight Stay at Homeless Shelter
- McGovern Meets With 2015 Congressional App Challenge Winners for MA
- Congressman McGovern Visits Worcester as Part of Affordable Housing Tour
- McGovern, Members of Congress Call For War Debate in Letter to Speaker Ryan
- McGovern Approves of Obama’s $1.1 Billion to Address Opioid Epidemic
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Jim McGovern, U.S. Congressman
- McGovern Blasts House GOP Bill Taking Healthcare Away From 22 Million Americans
- McGovern to Host Central MA Muslim Community Leader at State of Union
- McGovern Calls Out Speaker Ryan Over Block Grant System
- Cong McGovern and Sen Warren Praise Collapse of Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline Plan
- Congressman McGovern Praises Massachusetts for Efforts to Reduce Food Waste
- McGovern Blasts GOP Efforts to Cut Food Assistance to the Poor
- LePage Receives Congressional Recognition from McGovern for New England Pride TV
- McGovern Honors Worcester Military Service Veteran McGrath Jr.
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Congressman McGovern: America Cannot Afford Trump’s Nuclear Arms Race
- McGovern Calls Out Republicans for Failure to Act on Public Health Crises
- McGovern Approves of Obama Administration’s Call for $1.1 Billion to Address Opioids
- Congressman McGovern Honors Officer Tarentino on House Floor
- McGovern Blasts Speaker Ryan’s Poverty Agenda
- McGovern Attends House Democrats Sit-in Demanding Action Against Gun Violence
- Congressman McGovern to Help Community Servings Serve 100,000th Meal
- McGovern Wraps Up Trip to Cuba to Promote U.S. Economic Development