NEW: Paul Franco Kicks Off Campaign for State Senate Tonight
Wednesday, February 26, 2014
The event will begin at 7:00pm and run until 9:00pm at Val's Restaurant. Val's can be found at 75 Reservoir Street, Holden.
Franco is a graduate of Syracuse University and also holds a law degree from Western New England College. He served for thirty years in the United States military, including time served as a JAG officer. Franco has also served as chairman of the Worcester Republican Party and has previously run for State Representative, in 2010. Franco has lived and worked in Worcester for more than twenty-five years.
Related Slideshow: 9 Challenges Facing Worcester’s New City Manager
Now the Edward Augustus is serving as City Manager for Worcester, GoLocal reached out to the city's leaders to find out what they believe are the biggest challenges Augustus will face in his new role.
Roberta Schaefer, former president of the Worcester Regional Research Bureau:
Schaefer said continuing the sound financial management of former City Manager Michael O'Brien was the greatest task for Augustus. But in addition to financial questions, she called for Augustus to “follow the lead of Michael O'Brien, to make sure he represents all the interests of the city, as the CEO of the city.
Tim Murray, president and chief executive officer of the Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce:
In addition to budgeting and economic development, Murray pointed to fostering the business climate in the city. “Try to make Worcester as business-friendly a place as possible,” he said. Whether through permitting, customer service, or other incentive, “whatever we can do to make the city a supportive (place for business).”
Christopher Pinto, member of the Worcester Republican City Committee:
“Can he really do pension reform? Can he spare the taxpayers from more abusive taxes?” asked Pinto, who wonders what Augustus will do about the Responsible Employer Ordinance and how the new city manager will make appointments to boards and commissions.
Councilor Sarai Rivera:
Rivera points to economic development, neighborhood development, and continuing to support public safety and public service, as well as “working with private and labor to support the (Responsible Employer Ordinance) and look into an apprentice program.”
- State Senate Approves Health Care ‘Exchanges’
- GoLocal Questions Senate Candidates On Central Mass. Issues
- NEW: MA Senate Passes $2M Increase for Worcester Transportation
- Which Republican Will You Vote For in the US Senate Primary Election?
- State Senate Candidate Steve Simonian Reflects on Long Campaign
- How Central Mass. Voted: Senate Elections 2010-2013
- NEW: Planned Parenthood Backs Markey in U.S. Senate Race
- Worcester’s Elected Officials Split Over Senate Special Election
- 5 Things For Central MA Voters to Watch in Senate Special Election Debates
- MA US Senate Candidates: Who’s Strongest on Gun Rights?
- NEW: Senate Passes FY14 Budget
- UPDATE: GoLocal State Senate Debate Postponed
- Paul Franco to Kick Off Campaign for State Senate Wednesday
- Activate Worcester Hosts US Senate Candidate Dan Winslow
- Mass. US Senate Race Is a Markey-Gomez Matchup—Experts React
- New: Senate Passes Good Samaritan Bill
- AG Coakley Calls on Legislature to Raise MA Minimum Wage
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Richard Moore: Why I’m Running for State Senate
- Activate Worcester Hosts US Senate Candidate Michael Sullivan
- NEW: Central Mass Officials Endorse Lynch in Senate Bid
- Sullivan Shakes Up GOP Contest for U.S. Senate Seat
- Anti-Gun Violence Org Calls On Legislature to Tighten MA Gun Laws
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Stephen Brewer: Why I’m Running for State Senate
- Arthur Schaper: Brian Herr for US Senate (Who’s He?)
- NEW: Ed Markey Projected Winner of Democratic US Senate Primary
- US Senate Candidates’ Videos: See What They Have To Say
- Grace Ross: The Legislature is not even pretending to work democratically
- NEW: Simonian Claims to Knock on Over 17,000 Doors in State Senate Bid
- Arthur Schaper: Mark Inman for US Senate (Really?!)
- NEW: Gabriel Gomez Projected Winner of GOP US Senate Primary
- Warren Speaks on Senate Floor About Boston Marathon Bombings
- MA Legislature Hit With Failing Grade For Transparency
- NEW: State Senate to Hold Economic Summit Next Week
- Former Gov. Weld Endorses Gabriel Gomez for U.S. Senate
- NEW: Gomez U.S. Senate Campaign Kick-off Speech
- Which Democrat Will You Vote For in the US Senate Primary Election?
- NEW: Massachusetts Legislature Passes Sales Tax Holiday Bill
- Special GoLocal Debate: State Senate Candidates Face Off