NEW: Senate Special Election To Be Held June 25th
Monday, January 28, 2013
According to Brian McNiff, communications director for Secretary of the Commonwealth William Galvin's office, Kerry has indicated that he will submit is letter of resignation on Tuesday.
The Senator has indicated that he will submit his letter of resignation tomorrow.
"Once he submits that letter, the clock for a special election starts."
Governor Deval Patrick, who officially sets the date of such an election, has indicated that he will choose June 25th. McNiff said that Secretary Galvin would have preferred the 18th of June when schools will still be open, since many polling locations are in the Bay State's schools.
Once Patrick issues the call for the special election, Galvin's office will make nomination papers available.
Democratic U.S. Representative Edward Markey is the only candidate to formally announce his intentions to run for the seat as of yet.
- Scott Brown MIA But Still Polling Strong For Senate
- NEW: Markey to Run for Senate
- NEW: Stephen Lynch Senate Run Still Up In The Air
- NEW: State Sen Ben Downing Eyeing Possible Senate Run
- NEW: State Sen Ben Downing Will Not Run For Kerry’s Seat