NEW: Susan Rice Backs Out of Secretary of State Consideration
Thursday, December 13, 2012
Rice was one of the few names on the short list to succeed current Secretary of State Hilary Clinton during President Barack Obama's second term in office, but she has been under fire in recent weeks from Senate Republicans who criticized her response to the attacks on the U.S. diplomatic facility in Benghazi, Libya.
The other big name on the list has been that of senior Massachusetts Senator John Kerry, and by bowing out of the race, Rice may have helped clear the way for the Bay State Democrat.
If Kerry receives a cabinet appointment, his vacated Senate seat would trigger another special election in Massachusetts, and many have speculated that Republican Senator Scott Brown may run again.
- NEW: Sen. Kerry Named “Champion for Children” By Advocacy Group
- US Senator Kerry Supports Obama’s Budget
- US Senator Kerry Wants Lending Opportunities for Small Biz Coops
- If Sen. Kerry Becomes Sec. of State - See the Domino Effect
- NEW: Sen. Kerry Marks Passing of Liberal Champion George McGovern
- NEW: Sen. Kerry Wants Green Cards for Same-Sex Partners Facing Deportation
- NEW: Senator Kerry Supports Obama Online Privacy Bill