Teachers Union Submits Endorsements of School Committee Candidates
Tuesday, June 23, 2015
The Educational Association of Worcester (EAW) has voted to endorse who they believe "best embody the advancement of public education." The endorsed candidates are Dianna Biancheria, Donna Colorio, Molly McCullough, John Monfredo, and Brian O’Connell.
“The EAW-endorsed candidates all share a clear understanding of the strengths and challenges within Worcester Public Schools, and commend the achievements of our city’s students and teachers,” EAW President Len Zalauskas said. “They also respect Worcester teachers as professionals, and recognize their commitment to students in the face of unfunded mandates and ever-growing education reform demands. The 1,500 EAW members who live in Worcester look forward to casting their votes for the endorsed candidates in November.”
The union's endorsement process included a questionnaire, written response submission, and the interviewing of Worcester School Committee candidates.
Biancheria, Monfredo and O'Connell currently serve on the School Committee and are up for re-election.
According to the EAW, "these candidates support the EAW’s call for safe schools, engaged communities, and a moratorium on high stakes standardized testing. The EAW and its members will collectively and individually support these School Committee endorsements by participating in campaigning and other activities."
Related Slideshow: 10 Worcester School Committee Candidates
Here are the 10 Worcester School Committee Candidates that have pulled nomination papers.
Nick D'Andrea has been living in Worcester since 1973. A father of two, D'Andrea has one child in the Worcester Public Schools.
He has been a long-time umpire and used to contribute to the Telegram and Gazette.
D'Andrea is currently a Sales Operations Project Manager for Hewlett-Packard.
- Will Worcester’s School Committee See Overhaul this Fall?
- 10 Questions with School Committee Candidate Molly McCullough
- 10 Questions with School Committee Candidate Cotey Collins
- 10 Questions with Worcester School Committee Candidate Nick D’Andrea
- Monfredo: The Election Is Over, Time For The School Committee To Move Forward
- John Monfredo: School Committee Evaluates Superintendent Boone
- Worcester School Committee Criticizes Budget
- School Committee Candidate Collins Releases Proposed Safety Plan
- Worcester School Committee Divided on Standardized Testing Debate
- North High Principal’s Email Not on School Committee Meeting Agenda
- School Committee Demands Answers in Massive Unemployment Costs
- Boone’s Action Plan Criticized By North Teachers and School Committee Members
- Monfredo: Worcester School Committee Honors the Life and Work of “Ted” Coghlin
- Monfredo: Donna Lombardi Recognized by Worcester School Committee
- 10 Questions with School Committee Candidate Robert Cohane