Warren Gives Trump Failing Grade in “Drain the Swamp” Report Card
Friday, July 21, 2017
"We all heard the ‘drain the swamp' chants at Trump rallies. Now the Trump administration is knee-deep in special interest lobbyists and industry insiders who spent their careers trying to bring special interest influence into the agencies they now lead - or simply tear the agencies down. We need an open and transparent government that fights for the health, safety, and wellbeing of the American people. Instead, we've got a government filling with swamp creatures out to rig the system for themselves and their patrons,” said Senator Whitehouse.
The Report Card
The report card states that “Trump has brought on an average of more than one swamp-creature for every day he has been in office." The report continues "over the course of his transition and during the first six months of his administration, President Trump has appointed or nominated at least 160 current and former lobbyists, including 81 individuals who were registered as lobbyists within the past two years.”
"President Trump reneged on his promise to ‘drain the swamp.' Instead of turning away lobbyists and Washington insiders, he has welcomed them into the White House with open arms. Personnel is policy, and President Trump's army of lobbyists are more interested in lining the pockets of their long-time employers and corporate buddies than in making life better for America's working families,” said Senator Warren.
The report includes detailed descriptions of White House policies made by Washington lobbyists and insiders that help pharmaceutical companies, for-profit colleges, big banks, and the oil and gas industry.
The report card comes after Warren sent a letter to Trump just after the election.
Read the Letter Below
The letter raises concerns about the special interest lobbyists and industry insiders staffing his transition team.
The report was put together in the following months, after extensive research of public financial and lobbying disclosures, White House press releases, and employment histories, and lists 192 current and former lobbyists and corporate insiders employed by the Trump Transition and Administration.
The list includes:
- Geoffrey Burr, Chief of Staff at the Department of Transportation and "Confirmation Lead" for Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao during the Trump Transition.
- Michael Catanzaro, Special Assistant to the President for Domestic Energy and Environmental Policy at the National Economic Council and advisor to the Trump Transition on Energy Policy.
- Timothy Clark, White House Liaison at the Department of Health and Human Services, is the former President of the Clark Strategy Group, a lobbying firm that has represented the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America.
- Gary Cohn, the former President and Chief Operating Officer at Goldman Sachs, is the Chief Economic Advisor at the National Economic Council. Cohn received a $285 million payout after leaving Goldman Sachs to work for the Administration.
- Taylor Hansen, a former for-profit college lobbyist at the Association of Private Sector Colleges and Universities (currently known as the Career Education Colleges and Universities), worked as a Special Assistant to the Secretary at the Department of Education before resigning in March 2017.
- David Malpass, the President's nominee to serve as Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs, is currently the President of Encima Global, a consulting firm for Wall Street clients.
Senator Warren’s Blistering Letter to Trump
- Senators Warren, Toomey Place Bet on AFC Championship Game
- Warren Questions Suitability of Health & Human Services Secretary Designate
- Sen. Warren is “Deeply Concerned About What is to Come” in Puzder Confirmation Hearing
- Senator Elizabeth Warren Calls DeVos “Unqualified and Dangerous”
- Trump Nominates Gorsuch for Associate Justice of Supreme Court, Warren Announces Opposition
- Warren, Dem. Senators Call for Mnuchin Hearing to Include Outside Witnesses
- Sen. Warren to Serve on Armed Services Committee in 115th Congress
- Bob Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: Trump and Clinton, Raimondo’s CA Developer, and Warren’s Greatness
- Sen. Warren Addresses Election of Donald Trump to AFL-CIO
- Senator Warren Sends Blistering Letter to Trump’s Transition Team
- Sen. Warren Asks Government Accountability Office to Review Trump’s Transition
- Warren Issues Report on Financial Adviser Conflict-of-Interest Rule Threatened by Trump
- Warren Names Baker National Security Advisor for Washington DC Office
- Warren Helps Drive New Funding for Opioid Epidemic, Medical Research Government Spending
- Devine to Run for U.S. Senate Seat Against Warren
- Warren Questions Ethics Office About White House Ethics Officer’s Conflicts of Interest
- Warren, Markey Send Letter to White House Demanding Clarity on Bannon’s Compliance With Ethics Laws
- Sen. Warren Calls Republican Healthcare Bill a “Monstrosity”
- Government Accountability Office Begins Investigation into Mar-a-Lago at Request of Sen. Warren
- Warren Questions Labor Secretary Nominee Acosta Before Confirmation Hearing
- Sen. Warren, Baldwin Seek Information on Goldman Sachs’ role in Trump’s Economic Policies
- Warren Buffett Says Only 2-3 Newspapers Will Survive
- Warren Releases Report Detailing Labor Violations by Federal Contractors
- Warren Launches Survey of MA Treatment Facilities
- Warren Calls New Republican Healthcare Bill “Worst One Yet”