Warren Names Baker National Security Advisor for Washington DC Office
Tuesday, February 07, 2017
"Sasha is an expert in national security policy who has spent years serving our nation at the highest levels. Sasha's extensive experience, particularly with the kind of innovative defense work and scientific research in Massachusetts that helps and protects our service members, will be of tremendous benefit to the Commonwealth,” said Warren.
Prior to her new position, Baker served as the Deputy Chief of Staff to Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter.
In this role, Baker led the Secretary's priority innovation initiatives, including opening the Department's first East Coast DIUx office in Cambridge, MA; and investments in the Strategic Capabilities Office, DARPA, and the Department's nationwide network of scientific labs and research centers.
She was responsible for overseeing the Defense Digital Service, a group of digital engineers working on DoD's toughest technology challenges, and created the Defense Innovation Board, tasked to bring best practices from places like Cambridge and Silicon Valley into government.
Baker also assisted with the Secretary's Force of the Future effort, which expanded family leave, created new broadening opportunities for military and civilian personnel, and introduced private-sector talent management to DoD in order to better recruit and retain a 21st-century all volunteer force.
Until January 2017, Baker was the Deputy Chief of Staff to the Secretary of Defense, where she served as his senior advisor overseeing acquisition, technology, and logistics, and the development of the Department's $583 billion base budget and five-year investment strategy.
Baker is a graduate of Dartmouth College and the Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
Related Slideshow: Trump Inauguration
- Clinton’s Wall Street Donors Are Blocking Warren for Vice President
- MA Senator Elizabeth Warren to Endorse Hillary Clinton
- Warren for VP? Clinton Beware as Massachusetts is Presidential Ticket Loser Land
- Sen. Warren & Others Urge U.S. Dept. of Education to Reform Federal Student Loan Servicing
- Warren, Markey & other Senators Express Serious Concerns About Mylan’s Price Hike on EpiPens
- Cong McGovern and Sen Warren Praise Collapse of Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline Plan
- Warren Sees 54 Economists & Professors Support her Tax Legislation
- Sen. Warren Questions Ex Fed Regulator Played Role in ‘08 Financial Crisis
- Warren, Brown Ask Treasury to Investigate Involvement of U.S. Entities With Panama Based Law Firm
- Oregon’s Merkley is 1st Senator to Endorse Bernie Sanders - Where is Sen. Warren?
- Senator Warren Meets with Obama’s Supreme Court Nominee Merrick Garland
- Sen. Warren to Wells Fargo CEO Stumpf “You Should Resign”
- Tom Petty Biographer Warren Zanes to Host Talk at Clark University
- Senators Warren, Toomey Place Bet on AFC Championship Game
- Warren Questions Suitability of Health & Human Services Secretary Designate
- Sen. Warren is “Deeply Concerned About What is to Come” in Puzder Confirmation Hearing
- Senator Elizabeth Warren Calls DeVos “Unqualified and Dangerous”
- Trump Nominates Gorsuch for Associate Justice of Supreme Court, Warren Announces Opposition
- Warren, Dem. Senators Call for Mnuchin Hearing to Include Outside Witnesses
- Sen. Warren to Serve on Armed Services Committee in 115th Congress
- Bob Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: Trump and Clinton, Raimondo’s CA Developer, and Warren’s Greatness
- Sen. Warren Addresses Election of Donald Trump to AFL-CIO
- Senator Warren Sends Blistering Letter to Trump’s Transition Team
- Sen. Warren Asks Government Accountability Office to Review Trump’s Transition
- Warren Issues Report on Financial Adviser Conflict-of-Interest Rule Threatened by Trump