Warren Questions Labor Secretary Nominee Acosta Before Confirmation Hearing
Wednesday, March 22, 2017
The letter was sent before Acosta’s confirmation hearing before the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions that is scheduled for Wednesday.
Read the Letter HERE
"Your career has included little engagement with labor law, regulation, and enforcement, and, to my knowledge, you have not conveyed your views on federal labor law in public statements or publications to any significant extent. While I am eager to hear more about your stances on these important issues at your upcoming HELP Committee hearing and in your written responses to my questions, I am very concerned about the possibility that you will simply fall in line with President Trump's anti-worker statements and policies, which would be disastrous for the millions of American workers who rely on the Department of Labor's enforcement of labor law,” Warren wrote.
The letter brings up concerns about Acosta’s tenure as Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights at the Department of Justice, specifically a hiring scandal caused in part of Acosta’s ineffective management of his own deputies, as determined by DOJ’s Inspector General.
Warren also brings up Acosta’s record at the DOJ saying that it reveals "a willingness to overrule agency experts based on political consideration and a failure to impartially defend the civil rights of all Americans, particularly minorities and other historically disenfranchised groups.”
Warren questions Acosta's views on a other important issues that fall within the Labor Secretary's purview, including enforcement of wage and hour laws, implementation of the DOL's conflict of interest rule, regulations protecting workers from discrimination, plans to address labor law violations by federal contractors, and ensuring workplace health and safety rules and fair scheduling for workers.
The letter follows a similar document sent to President Trump's first nominee for Secretary of Labor, Andrew Puzder, who withdrew his nomination before responding. "While Andrew Puzder's withdrawal was a victory for every American who works for a paycheck, the bar for Secretary of Labor is not simply ‘better than Andrew Puzder,'" Senator Warren wrote.
Senator Warren’s Blistering Letter to Trump
- Warren for VP? Clinton Beware as Massachusetts is Presidential Ticket Loser Land
- Sen. Warren Asks Government Accountability Office to Review Trump’s Transition
- Sen. Warren to Serve on Armed Services Committee in 115th Congress
- Warren Names Baker National Security Advisor for Washington DC Office
- Warren Issues Report on Financial Adviser Conflict-of-Interest Rule Threatened by Trump
- Sen. Warren, Baldwin Seek Information on Goldman Sachs’ role in Trump’s Economic Policies
- Warren Buffett Says Only 2-3 Newspapers Will Survive
- Warren Releases Report Detailing Labor Violations by Federal Contractors
- Trump Nominates Gorsuch for Associate Justice of Supreme Court, Warren Announces Opposition
- Senator Elizabeth Warren Calls DeVos “Unqualified and Dangerous”
- Warren, Dem. Senators Call for Mnuchin Hearing to Include Outside Witnesses
- Senator Warren Sends Blistering Letter to Trump’s Transition Team
- Warren, Markey & other Senators Express Serious Concerns About Mylan’s Price Hike on EpiPens
- Sen. Warren & Others Urge U.S. Dept. of Education to Reform Federal Student Loan Servicing
- Cong McGovern and Sen Warren Praise Collapse of Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline Plan
- MA Senator Elizabeth Warren to Endorse Hillary Clinton
- Clinton’s Wall Street Donors Are Blocking Warren for Vice President
- Warren Questions Suitability of Health & Human Services Secretary Designate
- Senators Warren, Toomey Place Bet on AFC Championship Game
- Sen. Warren is “Deeply Concerned About What is to Come” in Puzder Confirmation Hearing
- Warren Launches Survey of MA Treatment Facilities
- Tom Petty Biographer Warren Zanes to Host Talk at Clark University
- Sen. Warren to Wells Fargo CEO Stumpf “You Should Resign”
- Bob Whitcomb’s Digital Diary: Trump and Clinton, Raimondo’s CA Developer, and Warren’s Greatness
- Sen. Warren Addresses Election of Donald Trump to AFL-CIO