3 Holy Cross Men’s Basketball Players Suspended for Potential NCAA Violations
Thursday, February 08, 2018
Junior Karl Charles and sophomores Jack Stevens and Will Powers have been suspended from the team, head coach Bill Carmody confirmed in his post-game press conference after the Crusaders lost to Navy 69-34 on Wednesday night.
On Wednesday, the school released a brief statement on the suspensions, however, did not give details of the violations.
“This weekend Holy Cross Athletics was made aware of potential NCAA violations involving current student-athletes. Those athletes have been placed on interim suspension from team activity pending a full investigation.”
It is unclear how long the players will be suspended for.
The Crusaders are currently 8-16 on the season and 5-8 in the Patriot League.
Charles is Holy Cross’ leading scorer this season, averaging 10.2 points per game in 29 minutes of action per game.
He also averages three rebounds and three assists per game.
Prior to the suspension, Charles had reached double figures in each of Holy Cross’ last three games.
Stevens and Powers
Stevens and Powers have only played limited minutes for Holy Cross this season.
Stevens averages just two minutes of action per game, while Powers averages just one minute per game.
Related Slideshow: 10 Biggest Games in Holy Cross Basketball History
Holy Cross vs Michigan in NCAA Tournament
The game marked Holy Cross' first NCAA Tournament appearance in 21 seasons.
After leading 72-70 with less than 5 minutes to play, the Crusaders fell 92-81.
Holy Cross was led that season by Ronnie Perry, however, he was injured for this game.
Holy Cross vs Duquesne - NIT Championship game
Holy Cross won the NIT Championship game 71-62 over Duquesne.
The Crusaders were led by Togo Palazzi who was named MVP of the tournament.
Palazzi went as the number one pick in the NBA Draft to the Boston Celtics a couple of months later.
- Holy Cross Falls to Lehigh 34-21 in Regular Season Finale
- Charles’ 23 Points Leads Holy Cross Past Sacred Heart 69-64
- Holy Cross Edges Harvard 73-69
- Holy Cross Falls to Rhode Island 88-66
- Green’s 22 Points Not Enough, Holy Cross Falls 87-76 to Fairleigh Dickinson
- Holy Cross Football Wraps up 2017 Season With Visit to Lehigh
- Holy Cross Football Cruises Past Fordham 42-20
- Holy Cross Falls to Colgate 45-7
- Holy Cross Football Hosts Georgetown in Final Home Game of Season
- Holy Cross Beats Georgetown 24-10 in Final Home Game
- Holy Cross Football Visits Fordham Seeking 2nd Straight Win
- Holy Cross Names Chesney New Football Coach
- Holy Cross Falls to Iona 82-68
- Floyd’s 22 Points Helps Holy Cross Edge American 60-57
- Grandison’s Back-to-Back Threes Lift Holy Cross Over Army 70-66
- Butler’s Career-High 28 Points Leads Holy Cross Past Lafayette 85-74
- Holy Cross Falls to Lehigh 71-67 Despite 16 Points From Charles
- Holy Cross Rolls Loyola Maryland 73-57
- Holy Cross Falls to Boston University 54-40 at Hart Center
- Holy Cross Rallies Past Loyola 64-57 for 1st Patriot League Win of Season
- Holy Cross Falls to Siena 71-65 in Final Non-Conference Game
- Holy Cross Falls 79-74 to Colgate in Patriot League Opener
- Holy Cross Falls to Lafayette 60-48, Drops to 0-2 in Patriot League
- Butler’s 22 Points Not Enough as Holy Cross Falls to Lehigh 83-77