slides: 5 Takeaways From Patriots 31-24 Loss to Jacksonville in Preseason Game 1
Friday, August 11, 2017
See 5 Takeaways From the Game in Slideshow Below
Garoppolo played into the third quarter, going 22 of 28 with two touchdown passes.
Big Plays Cost Patriots
Garoppolo found K.J. Maye on a five yard touchdown pass to tie the game at 17 to start the third quarter following a 7 play, 74 yard drive.
From there, Jacksonville would regain control.
On the Jaguars very next possession, running back Corey Grant ran 79 yards to the end zone to make the score 24-17 following a Jason Myers extra point.
Jacksonville would add to their lead just before the end of the third quarter when quarterback Brandon Allen hit Dede Westbrook on a 42 yard pass to give Jacksonville a 31-17 lead after a Myers extra point.
The Patriots would get it back to a one score game on a three-yard touchdown run by D.J. Foster to make it 31-24, but were unable to tie the game.
Jacoby Brissett went eight of 13 for 88 yards in a little over a quarter of action.
The Patriots next preseason game is on Saturday, August 19 at 8 p.m. against the Houston Texans.
The Patriots also announced that August 14 will be the final training camp practice open to the public.
Patriots players with notable struggles in preseason opener: CB Cyrus Jones, S Jordan Richards, RB D.J. Foster, LB Elandon Roberts.— Mike Reiss (@MikeReiss) August 11, 2017
Dion Lewis getting a lot of carries tonight suggests he's behind Burkhead on depth chart. Wonder if Lewis & Bolden are fighting for 1 spot— Ben Volin (@BenVolin) August 11, 2017
See 5 Takeaways From the Game in Slideshow Below
Related Slideshow: 5 Takeaways from Patriots Preseason Game vs Jacksonville
Jimmy Garoppolo made the start and played into the third quarter before being replaced by Jacoby Brissett.
His best work came during the two-minute drill at the end of the first half.
Garoppolo led the Patriots on a 9 play, 76-yard drive resulting in a touchdown pass to Austin Carr in the back of the end zone.
Garoppolo led the Patriots on another scoring drive to open the third quarter. This one totaled seven plays and 74 yards and resulted in in a touchdown pass to K.J. May to tie the game at 17.
He finished the game 22 of 28 for 235 yards and two touchdowns.
Cyrus Jones is in a battle to make the team as the third corner back for nickel packages.
In this game, Jones was beat in the second quarter on a 97-yard pass from Jacksonville's Chad Henne to Keelan Martin. During the play, Jones looked up for the ball too early and Martin was able to pull away.
Jones got beat again in the third quarter on a 42-yard pass resulting in a Dede Westbrook touchdown.
Dion Lewis was one of the only Patriots regulars to play in the game, and played an entire half.
Lewis carried the ball 7 times for 32 yards, averaging 4.6 yards per carry. He also added four catches for 23 yards.
Brandon Bolden also saw action in the game, running for 33 yards on five carries.
The two could be in a battle for the last running back spot in a loaded backfield.
Wide receiver Austin Carr stood out for the Patriots.
Carr hauled in five passes for 44 yards and had a leaping touchdown catch in the back of the end zone just before the half.
Carr is in a battle to make the team at a wide receiver position that is already well stocked.
Carr is an undrafted rookie out of Northwestern University.
- NEW: Patriots’ Butler Signs Restricted Free Agent Tender
- Former Patriots Star Hernandez Cleared of Double Murder Charges
- Patriots’ Gronkowski Crashes Spicer’s White House Press Briefing
- Patriots 2017 Regular Season Schedule Released
- 5 Things to Know About the Patriots Heading into the 2017 NFL Draft
- Patriots 2017 Preseason Schedule Announced
- Former Steeler Clark Threatens to Quit ESPN Job if Patriots Trade for Sherman
- NFL Commissioner Goodell to Attend Patriots Season Opener at Gillette Stadium
- New Orleans Saints Will Not Sign Patriots’ Butler to Offer Sheet
- Patriots’ Gronkowski Gets in Ring at Wrestlemania
- Brady’s Recovered Super Bowl 49 Jersey to be Displayed in Patriots Hall of Fame
- Patriots Make Trades and Add 2 Players in 3rd Round of NFL Draft
- Patriots Trade for Kansas City TE O’Shaughnessy, Add 2 Players in Final Day of NFL Draft
- Patriots Place Hightower, Branch on PUP List to Open Training Camp
- Raiders Running Back Lynch Mocks Brady, Patriots in New Macklemore Music Video
- Patriots Become First NFL Team with Private Planes, Will Fly Out of T.F. Green
- Everything to Need to Know About Patriots 2017 Training Camp
- Patriots’ Amendola Signs Modeling Deal With Ford Model
- Patriots’ Super Bowl 51 Trophy to Visit Worcester City Hall
- Patriots Sign Wide Receiver Andrew Hawkins to One-Year Deal
- Former Patriots Tackle O’Callaghan Comes Out as Gay
- Patriots’ Edelman to be on Cover of ESPN’s Body Issue
- What to Watch For: Jaguars vs Patriots Preseason Game 1