Boston Marathon by The Numbers
Thursday, April 13, 2017
The race is set to take place on Patriots’ Day, April 17 beginning at 9 a.m. in Hopkinton.
“The Boston Marathon is the country’s premier long-distance running event and a Patriots’ Day mainstay for Beantowners. But it’s become much more than that. The heinous acts of two troubled young men in 2013 turned the city into a symbol of American resilience and “Boston Strong” into a rallying cry heard worldwide. As a result, the Boston Marathon is characterized not by the violence of that day, but rather by the fact that we continue to run freely each year,” said WalletHub.
With that in mind, GoLocalProv teams with WalletHub for a further look at the Boston Marathon.
Related Slideshow: 25 Things to Look Forward to This Spring in New England - 2018
One of the best parts about Spring and Summer is the return of Waterfire
Providence WaterFire has grown to be an iconic Rhode Island event. Starting out in 1994 to celebrate it has grown to run continuously, once a month, from May-November and boasts over 80 blazing fires in the middle of the Providence River.
Playing Golf at Harbor Lights
Tee it up at Harbor Lights Country Club and dive right into golf season.
The Spring is a great time to get warmed up and get some swings in before the heart of the season hits in the summer.
Enjoy being back out on the course. Save the super serious golf for the summer.
Lower Heating Bills
As winter will come to a close New Englanders could look forward to spending less money on heating bills.
Although the bitter cold is hitting New England hard, and also therefore hitting their wallets hard, this brutal cold streak will soon come to an end and we'll be able to turn down our thermostats save some cash.
photo credit: Images Money/Flickr
Get your rods and reels ready because with the approach of warmer weather comes the return of fishing seasons. While some New England states allow for fishing year round, many New England states have opening days for trout fishing that begin in early April. Although there is still a plentiful amount of snow on the ground, fishing season is right around the corner.
photo credit: Grand River Conservation Authority/Flickr
Bicycling on the Central Mass Rail Trail
Once the streets are clear of ice and snow and the temperatures rise, one of the most fun things to do in New England is to jump on a bike and go for a nice long ride. There are plenty of bike paths to explore at your leisure, and many cities like Providence, Boston, and Worcester are beginning to make city streets much more bike friendly.
The Volvo Ocean Race is a 45,000 nautical mile sailing race that takes its teams around the world, across four oceans, touching six continents and 12 Host Cities.
The Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover will be a chance for visitors to view the world’s top sailors and race boats during the 12-day event in Newport.
The Newport Stopover will take place from May 8 to the 20.
Walking the Newport Cliff Walk
The Cliff Walk is one of Newport’s most famous attractions is its gilded age mansions lining the coast. Entry to the mansions will cost a fee, but with the Cliff Walk, you can enjoy views of the mansions with amazing views of the water all for free.
The 3.5 mile long path runs behind the mansions on the eastern shore of Newport. It is a National Recreation Trail – the first in New England! The majority of the walk is easy, but be sure to wear good shoes; the sand can make the path slippery.
Outdoor Dining at Boat House Restaurant in Newport
Newport Restaurant Group made this a must-visit spot several years ago and now the expected accolades have followed.
The views of Mount Hope Bay are unparalleled.
Enjoy a nice glass of wine with some lobster fritters that had sweet corn and a chipotle mayo and followed that with pan-roasted George’s Bank scallops with a delightful spring pea risotto, pea greens from Allen Farm and a citrus emulsion.
Spring Vacation on Block Island
Get away from the hustle and bustle of the world and take a spring vacation to Block Island and enjoy all they have to offer.
Maybe a spa? a swim? Some shopping? there are plenty of options.
If Block Island doesn't do it for you, Newport is also a great place to take a break.
Or maybe do both.
Visiting Arcadia National Park in Maine
People have been drawn to the rugged coast of Maine throughout history. Awed by its beauty and diversity, early 20th-century visionaries donated the land that became Acadia National Park.
The park is home to many plants and animals, and the tallest mountain on the U.S. Atlantic coast.
Visit Acadia and hike granite peaks, bike historic carriage roads, or relax and enjoy the scenery.
The 7th annual Newport Craft Beer Festival is set for Friday, April 27 and Saturday, April 28 at Newport Storm Brewery.
The event will bring in brewers from as far away as California and as close as Newport.
It is a 21+ celebration.
- Bob Lobel: The Boston Marathon and Me
- GoLocal’s Coverage of the Boston Marathon Explosions
- NEW: Statement from Lt. Gov. Murray on Boston Marathon Bombings
- NEW: Suspect Identified in Boston Marathon Bombings; Arrest Imminent
- Warren Speaks on Senate Floor About Boston Marathon Bombings
- NEW: State Sen. Moore Issues Statement on Boston Marathon Bombings
- Two-Time Boston Marathon Winner Geoff Smith Describes Explosion Scene
- Local Runners Represent in Boston Marathon
- NEW: Multiple Explosions at Boston Marathon
- Video of the Explosion at the Boston Marathon
- NEW: Statement from Governor Patrick on Boston Marathon
- Terrorism Expert Talks Boston Marathon and Ricin Scare
- Obama’s Speech at Interfaith Service to Remember Victims of Boston Marathon Bombings
- Nguyen: Boston Marathon Bomber’s Jury: How Did We Get Here?
- NEW: Tsarnaev Guilty in Boston Marathon Bombing
- NEW: Rotich, Desise Win 119th Boston Marathon
- NEW: Boston Marathon Bomber Tsarnaev Sentenced to Death
- Consumer Warning: BBB Warns of Fake Boston Marathon Charities
- Rob Horowitz: How The Boston Marathon Tragedy Brings Us Together
- NEW: Video Of Boston Marathon Bombing Suspects Released by FBI
- BREAKING: MBTA Closed As Police Search for Boston Marathon Bomber #2
- You Could Not Have Missed It: Boston Marathon Bombings Roundup
- Boston Marathon Bombings - By the Numbers
- Boston Marathon Bombing Movie “Patriots Day” Trailer Released