video: Bradley Jr. Scores on Wild Pitch, Red Sox Edge Orioles 1-0 in 11 Innings
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
This was the second straight extra-inning game between the two clubs and the 18th extra-inning game this season for the Red Sox. They are 15-3 in those games.
With the win, the Red Sox improve to 87-54 on the season. They maintain a three-game lead over the Yankees in the AL East.
Red Sox Escape With Win
With a runner on second and two outs in the 11th, Baltimore pitcher Brach walked Andrew Benintendi and Mookie Betts to load the bases for Mitch Moreland.
Following a visit from the Orioles pitching coach, Brach bounced a pitch that Moreland sidestepped allowing Bradley to score.
Matt Barnes pitched the bottom of the inning and picked up the save.
Joe Kelly pitched the 10th inning and picked up the win.
The Red Sox and Orioles return to action on Wednesday, September 20 at 7 p.m.
The pitching matchup is Boston's Chris Sale against Baltimore's Wade Miley.
The Red Sox have won an extra-inning game without recording an RBI twice in their history: once in 1918, once in 1917. (via Play Index)— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) September 20, 2017
The Red Sox have tied the franchise record for most extra-inning wins in a season (15, also in 1943). Eight of those have come on the road.— Red Sox Notes (@SoxNotes) September 20, 2017
Related Slideshow: The History of Baseball in Central Massachusetts
Baseball and Central Mass. go way back - to the 1860s. The local historical landmarks range from Mudville to Hotel Vernon to Fitton Field. A version of these highlights is posted on the site of the new, yet-to-be-formally-named Worcester Baseballteam of the three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.
First Perfect Game
The first perfect game in the history of Major League Baseball was pitched in Worcester, on June 12, 1880, by J. Lee Richmond for the Worcester Worcesters – also known at various times as the Brown Stockings and the Ruby Legs - versus the Cleveland Blues at the Worcester Driving Park Grounds, located in the Worcester Agricultural Fairgrounds near Elm Park. Worcester joined the National League in 1880, replacing the failed Syracuse Stars.
NE Collegiate Baseball
A New England Collegiate Baseball League team played in Leominster from 1995 to 1999. Called the Central Mass. Collegians, they won the NECBL Championship in both 1995 and 1996, and During the 1995 season, they played a game against the Cuban National Youth Team in Worcester.
Wachusett Dirt Dawgs
The Wachusett Dirt Dawgs, who play at historic, and newly renovated, Doyle Field in Leominster, are a 2012 expansion franchise in the now-three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.The Dirt Dawgs’ 2013 season swung into action on June 5 with big expectations, but ended on August 8 with those hopes being dashed. They finished in the basement, with a record of 20-31 - 14 games behind first-place the Martha’s Vineyard Sharks (38-18). The team is owned by prominent Leominster businessman John Morrison, who also founded, owns and operates Fosta-Tek Optics in Leominster.
Last month, the Futures Collegiate Baseball League announced the formation of the Worcester Baseball franchise, which will play its first season next summer. The team is owned by the family that owns and operates Creedon and Co. The prominent Worcester catering service will be the food-and-beverage vendor at home games at Fitton Field, at the College of the Holy Cross. Through Octobert 25, Worcester Baseball is conducting a name-the-team competition.
- Moreland’s 4 RBIs Leads Red Sox to Series Sweep of Blue Jays
- Sale Becomes Fastest to 1,500 Strikeouts, Red Sox Beat Blue Jays 3-0
- Red Sox Manage Only 4 Hits, Fall 6-2 to Yankees
- Red Sox Use Long Ball to Beat Yankees 4-1
- Holliday’s 3-Run Home Run Lifts Yankees Over Red Sox 5-1
- Vazquez’s Two-Run Home Run, 4 Hits Lifts Red Sox Over Blue Jays 6-5
- Red Sox Fall 2-1 to Orioles, AL East Lead Cut to 2.5 Games
- Pomeranz Strikes Out 9, Red Sox Beat Indians 6-1
- Sale Gives Up 7 Runs, Red Sox Fall 13-6 to Cleveland
- Red Sox Committ 5 Errors, Blown Out by Orioles 16-3
- Red Sox Drop 3rd Straight Game, Shut Out by Orioles 7-0
- Red Sox Blown Out by Yankees 9-2, Lose Series 3-1
- Porcello Picks Up MLB-Worst 16th Loss as Red Sox Fall 10-4 to Blue Jays
- Benintendi’s 3 RBIs Lead Red Sox Past A’s 6-2
- Red Sox Fall to A’s 7-3
- Red Sox Rally for 7 Runs in 15th to Beat Rays 13-6
- Porcello Pitches 7 Shutout Innings, Red Sox Beat Rays 3-1
- Price Returns, Red Sox Fall to Rays 3-2
- Betts Records 6 RBIs, Red Sox Cruise Past A’s 11-1
- Red Sox Manage Only 5 Hits, Fall to Rays 4-1
- Ramirez’s Walk-Off RBI Single Gives Red Sox 3-2 Win Over Toronto in 19 Innings
- Fister’s 9 Strikeouts Helps Red Sox to 6-1 Win Over Blue Jays
- Betts’ 3-Run Home Run Helps Red Sox Cruise Past Rays 9-3
- Pedroia Homers, Red Sox Cruise Past Rays 9-0
- Benintendi’s 2- RBI Single Lifts Red Sox Over Orioles 10-8 in 11 Innings