video: Brady to be on Madden NFL 18 Cover, Makes Fun of “Madden Curse”
Saturday, May 13, 2017
In a video released Friday morning, Brady makes fun of the supposed "Madden Curse" of players who have graced the cover and gone on to get injured or suffer declining performances.
To show how unconcerned he is, Brady in the video breaks a mirror - and walks under a ladder.
The Madden Curse
Over the years, being on the cover of Madden has been a curse.
Last season, Gronkowski suffered a rib and lung injury in the middle of the season and then a herniated disc that required season-ending surgery.
Prior to that, players such as Daunte Culpepper, Ray Lewis, Marshall Faulk, Donovan McNabb, Shaun Alexander, Vince Young and Troy Polamalu all suffered injuries in the year of their cover appearance.
The curse began with the game’s first cover athlete, Garrison Hearst, who broke his ankle in the playoffs after appearing on the cover.
In a video on his Facebook page, Brady said he will not be cursed.
Brady on Madden
Brady is the second Patriot in the Bill Belichick era to be on the cover following Rob Gronkowski’s appearance on the cover last year.
Brady is coming off his fifth Super Bowl win and his fourth Super Bowl MVP Award.
Despite missing the first four games of the season, he finished second in the league MVP voting.
Madden 18 will be available or Xbox one, Xbox 360, Playstation 4 and Playstation 3 on August 25.
Gamers can reserve a copy by clicking here.
Related Slideshow: 16 Plays That Define the Patriots 2016 Season Regular Season - in Vines
LeGarrette Blount Leaps Over a Dolphins Player
LeGarrette Blount took a toss from rookie quarterback Jacoby Brissett and proceeded to make an Olympic hurdle type leap over Dolphins' defensive back Byron Maxwell and pick up the first down
Blount ran for 123 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries.
Garoppolo Dominates Miami
In the Patriots home opener against the rival Miami Dolphins, Garoppolo was dominant, completing 18 of 27 passes for 234 yards and three touchdowns, including this one to Danny Amendola.
Garoppolo would get injured just before halftime and the Patriots would hold on to win 31-24.
Hightower's big hit on Browns quarterback Cody Kessler knocked him out of the game. The next week, Hightower would sack Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton in the end zone for a safety and change the momentum of that game.
So far this season, Hightower has 1.5 sacks, one safety, 14 solo tackles and one pass defensed in six games played.
Tom Brady Plays First Game Back at Gillette
Brady made his return to the Patriots in the previous game on the road against Cleveland, but his first game back at Gillette Stadium came against the Bengals.
Brady hit running back James White for his first touchdown pass of the day and New England won 35-17.
He finished the game completing 29 of 35 passes for 376 yards and three touchdowns.
Gronkowski Injured on Hit by Seattle's Earl Thomas
Near the end of the 2nd quarter of the Patriots game against Seattle, Earl Thomas hit Rob Gronkowski square in the chest. Just two weeks later, it would be announced that Gronkowski would be out for the season.
The Patriots lost to Seattle 31-24
Brady Nearly Fumbles Against Jets, Throws Touchdown to Mitchell
Trailing 10-3 and on the Jets five-yard line, Brady fumbled the snap picked it up and found Malcolm Mitchell in the back of the end zone for a touchdown to tie the game at ten following a Gostkowski extra point.
The Patriots would go on to win 22-17.
Shea McClellin Blocks Ravens Field Goal
The Ravens threatened to take the lead, 3-2, midway through the first quarter on a field goal attempt by kicker Justin Tucker, but New England's Shea McClellin jumped over the center and got the block. The Patriots offense scored a touchdown on their ensuing possession to take a 9-0 lead.
The Patriots would go on to win the game 30-23.
Blount Breaks Curtis Martin's Record for Rushing TDs in a Season
Running back LeGarrette Blount recorded his 15th rushing touchdown of the season in the Patriots win over Denver. With the score, he passed Curtis Martin for most rushing touchdowns in a season.
The Patriots beat Denver 16-3 to clinch AFC East.
McCourty's Hit on DeMaryius Thomas
On a fourth and 2, Devin McCourty put an end to Denver's come come back hopes with this hit on DeMaryius Thomas that forced him to drop the ball.
Had Thomas made the catch, the Broncos would have likely scored on the drive, making the final minutes a little more nervewracking.
Matt Lengel Catches First Touchdown Pass
Lengel came over to the Patriots from the Bengals practice squad and had never caught a touchdown pass in his career.
Already up 13-0, Tom Brady hit Lengel over the middle for an 18-yard touchdown pass to give the Patriots a 20-0 lead. It was Lengel's first catch, first target, and first touchdown.
The Patriots would go on to beat the Jets 41-3.
Michael Floyd's Block on Lippitt to Spring Edelman Against Miami
Michael Floyd's block on Miami's Tony Lippit to spring Julian Edelman's 77 yard touchdown is one of the greatest blocks in Patriots history.
The Patriots beat the Dolphins 35-14 to clinch the top seed in the AFC heading into the playoffs.
- NEW: Obama References Tom Brady in Boston Remarks
- Tom Brady’s Suspension is Overturned
- New Miss America Says Tom Brady Cheated
- South Park Mocks Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen
- Who Will Catch Tom Brady’s 400th Touchdown Pass?
- Inside the Numbers on Tom Brady and NFL Suspensions
- Tom Brady Ranked #2 in 2015 Quarterback Power Rankings
- What Legal Steps Will Tom Brady Take to Fight 4 Game Suspension?
- NEW: Tom Brady’s Appeal Hearing Will be Held June 23
- NEW: Tom Brady and Brandon Spikes Went Out Together Last Weekend
- 5 Things to Know About Tom Brady’s Deflategate Appeal
- Tom Brady’s 400th Touchdown Pass
- Numbers Show Tom Brady is on Pace For Another Historic Year
- Tom Brady’s 4-Game Deflategate Suspension Reinstated by US Appeals Court
- Donald Trump Says “Leave Tom Brady Alone”
- Federal Court Rejects Tom Brady’s Deflategate Appeal
- Tom Brady Will Not Continue Legal Process, Serve 4 Game Suspension
- Inside the Numbers: Tom Brady’s 2-7 Career Record in Denver
- Manning Says He Will Miss Pats Fans & Handshakes With Tom Brady
- NEW: Patriots Sign Tom Brady to 2-Year Contract Extension
- Tom Brady vs. Andrew Luck: Inside the Matchup
- Tom Brady Scares His Kids While Dressed up as a Turkey
- NEW: Tom Brady Suffers Ankle Sprain
- Inside The Numbers: Tom Brady’s Career 2-6 Record in Denver
- Inside The Matchup: Tom Brady vs. Matt Ryan