Celtics Cruise Past Cleveland 96-83 in Game 5, Lead Series 3-2
Thursday, May 24, 2018
The Celtics cruised past the Cleveland Cavaliers 96-83 in game five of their Eastern Conference Finals series on Wednesday night at TD Garden in Boston.
The Celtics lead the series out 3-2 and can close it out on Friday night in Cleveland.
"To do what we want to do we still have to beat this team one more time. And it's hard to do in the NBA,” said Celtics head coach Brad Stevens in his post-game press conference.
Boston was led by Jayson Tatum, who poured in 24 points and seven rebounds, while Al Horford finished with a double-double, 15 points, and 12 rebounds.
For Cleveland, LeBron James poured in 26 points and grabbed ten rebounds, but also turned the ball over six times.
Trailing 12-11 with just under six minutes to play in the first quarter, the Celtics went on a 25-7 run to take a 36-19 lead with 10:47 left in the second quarter.
Cleveland would get back within eight, 39-31, with 6:13 left in the half, before Boston went on an 8-2 run capped off by a Marcus Morris to give the Celtics a 47-33 lead with four minutes left in the half.
Boston would take a 53-42 lead into the break.
Cleveland would get within nine points early in the third quarter before Boston would build their lead to as much as 21 points, 83-61 in the opening minutes of the fourth quarter.
Cleveland would get as close as 12 points, 83-71, in the fourth quarter, but were unable to get any closer despite numerous opportunities.
The Celtics would then score eight straight points to take a 91-73 lead following two free throws from Tatum and cruise to the win.
Game six is set for Friday, May 25 in Cleveland.
Game time is set for 8:30 p.m.
If Boston wins, it will be only their second road win of the playoffs.
- 16 Winning Streak Over, Celtics Fall to Miami 104-98
- Irving’s 47 Leads Celtics Rally Past Mavs 110-102 in OT - 16 Wins in a Row
- NABLEO Blasts Boston Police for Tweet Honoring Celtics’ Auerbach During Black History Month
- Celtics’ Irving to Miss Remainder of Season, Playoffs
- Celtics Win Game 1 Over Bucks, 113-107 in Overtime
- Brown, Tatum Lead Celtics Past Knicks 110-89
- Celtics’ Hayward Has Surgery, Likely Out for Season
- Cleveland May Try to Void Trade With Celtics Following Thomas’ Physical
- Celtics Send 2020 2nd Round Pick to Cleveland to Seal Irving Trade
- Celtics Fall to Cleveland 102-99 in Season Opener
- UPDATED: Celtics Hayward Suffers Gruesome Injury in Season Opener
- Brown’s 30 Points Leads Celtics to 120-106 Win Over Bucks in Game 2
- Celtics Get Blown Out by Bucks in Game 3, 116-92
- Celtics Fall to 76ers 103-92 in Game 4
- Horford’s Layup Lifts Celtics to 101-98 Win in Game 3
- Celtics Edge 76ers 114-112 in Game 5, Advance to Eastern Conference Finals
- Celtics Cruise Past Cleveland 108-83 in Game 1 of Eastern Conference Finals
- Five Reasons the Celtics Won Game #2 Against the Cavs and LeBron
- Celtics Rally From 22 Points Down To Beat 76ers 108-103 in Game 2