Celtics Fall to Cleveland 116-86 in Game 3
Sunday, May 20, 2018
Boston only turned the ball over 14 times combined in the first two games of the series.
“They were great. We were clearly not the harder-playing, more connected team tonight,” said Celtics head coach Brad Stevens in his post-game press conference.
The Celtics still lead the series 2-1 with game four set for Monday.
Celtics Blown Out
The Cavaliers would take control right from the opening tip, taking a 20-4 lead with 5:03 left to play in the first quarter following a three from LeBron James.
Boston would not get closer than 14 points and would trail by 20, 61-41, at the half.
The Cavaliers would cruise in the second half, leading by as much as 30 points with just over six minutes to play in the game.
James led all scorers with 27 points and 12 assists.
Jayson Tatum led the Celtics with 18 points, while Terry Rozier followed up with 13.
With the loss in game three, the Celtics are now 1-5 on the road in the playoffs.
Boston lost three games to Milwaukee in the first round, one game to Philadelphia in the second and game three to Cleveland.
"In my 11 years as a head coach, I probably haven't talked about road and home five times with our team. If you start talking about that, you find excuses in both places,” said Stevens after the game.
By comparison, the 2008 championship Celtics team dropped their first six road games en route to the title.
Game 4 Upcoming
The Celtics and Cleveland will play game four on Monday, May 21 in Cleveland.
Game time is set for 8:30 p.m.
- Irving’s 47 Leads Celtics Rally Past Mavs 110-102 in OT - 16 Wins in a Row
- Brown, Tatum Lead Celtics Past Knicks 110-89
- 16 Winning Streak Over, Celtics Fall to Miami 104-98
- NABLEO Blasts Boston Police for Tweet Honoring Celtics’ Auerbach During Black History Month
- Celtics’ Irving to Miss Remainder of Season, Playoffs
- Celtics’ Hayward Has Surgery, Likely Out for Season
- UPDATED: Celtics Hayward Suffers Gruesome Injury in Season Opener
- Celtics Acquire Kyrie Irving in Trade With Cleveland Involving Isaiah Thomas
- Cleveland May Try to Void Trade With Celtics Following Thomas’ Physical
- Celtics Send 2020 2nd Round Pick to Cleveland to Seal Irving Trade
- Celtics Fall to Cleveland 102-99 in Season Opener
- Celtics Win Game 1 Over Bucks, 113-107 in Overtime
- Brown’s 30 Points Leads Celtics to 120-106 Win Over Bucks in Game 2
- Horford’s Layup Lifts Celtics to 101-98 Win in Game 3
- Celtics Rally From 22 Points Down To Beat 76ers 108-103 in Game 2
- Celtics Fall to 76ers 103-92 in Game 4
- Celtics Edge 76ers 114-112 in Game 5, Advance to Eastern Conference Finals
- Celtics Cruise Past Cleveland 108-83 in Game 1 of Eastern Conference Finals
- Rozier & Tatum Lead Celtics Past 76ers 117-101 in Game 1
- Celtics Beat Bucks 112-96 in Game 7
- Celtics Get Blown Out by Bucks in Game 3, 116-92
- Celtics Comeback Falls Short, Lose to Bucks 104-102 in Game 4
- Smart Returns, Celtics Hold Off Bucks 92-87 in Game 5
- Celtics Fall to Bucks 97-86 in Game 6, Game 7 Set for Saturday Night in Boston
- Five Reasons the Celtics Won Game #2 Against the Cavs and LeBron