Celtics Fall to Cleveland 87-79 in Game 7
Monday, May 28, 2018
The Celtics fell 87-79 to the Cleveland Cavaliers in game seven at the TD Garden in Boston.
"It was a pretty incredible run by an incredible group of guys. An absolute privilege to be around them every day," said Celtics head coach Brad Stevens after the game.
It is the Celtics first and only home loss in the 2018 playoffs.
It is also the first time in history that the Celtics lost a series after leading it 2-0.
The Celtics were led by Jayson Tatum, who poured in 24 points, while Al Horford added 17 points.
LeBron James had 35 points to lead all scorers en route to his eighth straight NBA Finals appearance.
"I thought it was an outstanding defensive game. And, again, he still had 35, 15 and 9. It's a joke," Stevens added.
Celtics Fall to Cleveland
Tatum knocked down a three to give the Celtics a 72-71 lead with 6:03 left to play in the game.
From there, Cleveland went on a 15-2 run capped off by George Hill to take an 86-74 lead with 41 seconds left.
Cleveland would close the game on a 16-7 run and go on to win the game 87-79 to advance to the NBA Finals for the fourth straight year.
Celtics Take Early Lead
Boston trailed 18-17 late in the first quarter, before going on an 18-5 run to take a 35-23 lead d with 8:27 left in the half.
However, the Celtics were unable to extend the lead.
Cleveland would rally to cut Boston’s lead to one, 40-39, with 42 seconds left in the game.
Boston would take a 43-39 lead at the half after Jaylen Brown hit a three with 33 seconds left before the break.
Young Players Struggle
Other than Tatum, the Celtics young players struggled.
Terry Rozier had just four points on 2 of 14 shooting from the field and 0 of 10 from three.
Brown recorded just 13 points on 5 of 18 shooting from the field and 3 of 12 from beyond the arc. One of those threes came in the final seconds.
- Celtics’ Irving to Miss Remainder of Season, Playoffs
- NABLEO Blasts Boston Police for Tweet Honoring Celtics’ Auerbach During Black History Month
- Celtics Win Game 1 Over Bucks, 113-107 in Overtime
- Brown’s 30 Points Leads Celtics to 120-106 Win Over Bucks in Game 2
- Celtics Get Blown Out by Bucks in Game 3, 116-92
- 16 Winning Streak Over, Celtics Fall to Miami 104-98
- Irving’s 47 Leads Celtics Rally Past Mavs 110-102 in OT - 16 Wins in a Row
- Celtics Fall to Cleveland 102-99 in Season Opener
- UPDATED: Celtics Hayward Suffers Gruesome Injury in Season Opener
- Brown, Tatum Lead Celtics Past Knicks 110-89
- Celtics Comeback Falls Short, Lose to Bucks 104-102 in Game 4
- Smart Returns, Celtics Hold Off Bucks 92-87 in Game 5
- Celtics Cruise Past Cleveland 108-83 in Game 1 of Eastern Conference Finals
- Celtics Edge 76ers 114-112 in Game 5, Advance to Eastern Conference Finals
- Five Reasons the Celtics Won Game #2 Against the Cavs and LeBron
- Celtics Fall to Cleveland 116-86 in Game 3
- Celtics Cruise Past Cleveland 96-83 in Game 5, Lead Series 3-2
- Celtics Fall to 76ers 103-92 in Game 4
- Horford’s Layup Lifts Celtics to 101-98 Win in Game 3
- Celtics Fall to Bucks 97-86 in Game 6, Game 7 Set for Saturday Night in Boston
- Celtics Beat Bucks 112-96 in Game 7
- Rozier & Tatum Lead Celtics Past 76ers 117-101 in Game 1
- Celtics Rally From 22 Points Down To Beat 76ers 108-103 in Game 2
- Celtics’ Hayward Has Surgery, Likely Out for Season
- Celtics Fall to Cleveland 109-99 in Game 6, Game 7 Set for Sunday in Boston