video: Celtics’ Hayward Has Surgery, Likely Out for Season
Thursday, October 19, 2017
The news was announced just after 1 a.m. on Thursday morning.
Hayward suffered the injury while going up for an alley-oop with just under seven minutes left in the first quarter of the Celtics season-opening game against the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Hayward stayed down for several minutes before being taken off the floor on a stretcher with his leg in a cast.
Hayward's Message to Celtics Fans
Prior to the Celtics home opener against Milwaukee Bucks, Hayward delivered a message to Celtics fans on the jumbotron at TD Garden.
The Celtics introduced Hayward as their sixth man during player introductions at the start of the game.
While the Bucks were shooting free throws, chants of "Gordon Hayward" could be heard from the TD Garden crowd.
The Celtics lost to the Bucks 108-100 to drop to 0-2 on the season.
See Hayward's Message to Celtics Fans Below:
After surgery tonight, Boston's Gordon Hayward is unlikely to return this season, agent Mark Bartelstein told ESPN.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) October 19, 2017
- ESPN Reports Hayward Signing with Celtics
- UPDATED: Celtics Hayward Suffers Gruesome Injury in Season Opener
- Wall’s Three in Final Seconds Sinks Celtics 92-91 in Game 6, Game 7 Set for Monday
- Bradley’s 29 Points Leads Celtics to Blow Out Win in Game 5 Over Wizards
- Olynyk’s 26 Points Helps Celtics to 115-105 Game 7 Win Over Washington
- Celtics Set to Open Eastern Conference Finals Against Cleveland Wednesday Night
- Slow Start Leads Celtics to 117-104 Loss to Cleveland in Game 1
- Celtics Give up 26 Straight Points En Route to 121-102 Game 4 Loss to Wizards
- Celtics Blown Out by Wizards 116-89 in Game 3
- Celtics Open 2nd Round Series Against Washington on Sunday
- Celtics Knock Down 19 Threes En Route to 123-111 Game 1 Win Over Wizards
- Thomas’ 53 Points Leads Celtics to 129-119 Overtime Win Over Wizards in Game 2
- Thomas Injured, Cavaliers Hand Celtics Worst Home Playoff Loss in Team History
- Celtics’ Thomas Out for Remainder of Playoffs
- Celtics Acquire Kyrie Irving in Trade With Cleveland Involving Isaiah Thomas
- Celtics Trade Bradley to Pistons for Marcus Morris
- Cleveland May Try to Void Trade With Celtics Following Thomas’ Physical
- Celtics Send 2020 2nd Round Pick to Cleveland to Seal Irving Trade
- Celtics Fall to Cleveland 102-99 in Season Opener
- Celtics Select Duke’s Tatum With #3 Overall Pick in NBA Draft
- Brawl in Celtics Game
- Bradley’s Three Lifts Celtics Over Cleveland 111-108 in Game 3
- Celtics Can’t Hold 16 Point Lead, Fall 112-99 To Cleveland in Game 4
- Celtics Eliminated From Playoffs Following Game 5 Loss to Cleveland
- Celtics Trade #1 Pick to Philadelphia for #3 Pick in NBA Draft