Celtics’ Irving to Miss Remainder of Season, Playoffs
Friday, April 06, 2018
The surgery was to remove tension wire in his knee that was inserted in 2015 after Irving a knee injury in the NBA Finals.
According to the Celtics, a bacterial infection was found during the surgery at the spot where two screws are in place.
Irving will undergo another surgery on Saturday to remove the two screws.
Irving With Celtics
Irving came to the Celtics in an offseason trade with the Cleveland Cavaliers in which the Celtics sent Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder to Cleveland.
This season, Irving has averaged a team-leading 24 points, five assists, and 3.8 rebounds this season.
Celtics to Sign Guard
According to ESPN, the Celtics are expected to sign free agent guard Jonathan Gibson.
Gibson, 30, played for the Celtics summer league team in 2012 before playing in China earlier this year.
In China, Gibson averaged 33.7 points this season.
Celtics This Season
The loss of Irving is a major blow to the Celtics chances of making it to the NBA Finals.
With a record of 53-25, the Celtics hold the second seed in the Eastern Conference.
With Irving out, Marcus Morris is the team’s leading scorer with 21 points per game, followed by Jayson Tatum who has averaged 17 points per game.
- Celtics’ Thomas Out for Remainder of Playoffs
- Thomas Injured, Cavaliers Hand Celtics Worst Home Playoff Loss in Team History
- Bradley’s Three Lifts Celtics Over Cleveland 111-108 in Game 3
- Celtics Can’t Hold 16 Point Lead, Fall 112-99 To Cleveland in Game 4
- Celtics Eliminated From Playoffs Following Game 5 Loss to Cleveland
- Slow Start Leads Celtics to 117-104 Loss to Cleveland in Game 1
- Celtics Set to Open Eastern Conference Finals Against Cleveland Wednesday Night
- Celtics Give up 26 Straight Points En Route to 121-102 Game 4 Loss to Wizards
- Bradley’s 29 Points Leads Celtics to Blow Out Win in Game 5 Over Wizards
- Wall’s Three in Final Seconds Sinks Celtics 92-91 in Game 6, Game 7 Set for Monday
- Olynyk’s 26 Points Helps Celtics to 115-105 Game 7 Win Over Washington
- Celtics Trade #1 Pick to Philadelphia for #3 Pick in NBA Draft
- Celtics Select Duke’s Tatum With #3 Overall Pick in NBA Draft
- Celtics’ Hayward Has Surgery, Likely Out for Season
- UPDATED: Celtics Hayward Suffers Gruesome Injury in Season Opener
- Brown, Tatum Lead Celtics Past Knicks 110-89
- Irving’s 47 Leads Celtics Rally Past Mavs 110-102 in OT - 16 Wins in a Row
- 16 Winning Streak Over, Celtics Fall to Miami 104-98
- Celtics Fall to Cleveland 102-99 in Season Opener
- Celtics Send 2020 2nd Round Pick to Cleveland to Seal Irving Trade
- ESPN Reports Hayward Signing with Celtics
- Celtics Trade Bradley to Pistons for Marcus Morris
- Celtics Acquire Kyrie Irving in Trade With Cleveland Involving Isaiah Thomas
- Cleveland May Try to Void Trade With Celtics Following Thomas’ Physical
- NABLEO Blasts Boston Police for Tweet Honoring Celtics’ Auerbach During Black History Month