Champion Reaches 1,000 Career Points Milestone, Holy Cross Beats American 69-54
Monday, February 20, 2017
Champion becomes the 51st player in program history to reach the 1,000 point milestone.
Holy Cross improves to 8-8 in the Patriot League and 14-15 overall. They are currently in a tie for 5th with two games to play in the season.
Late Run Gets Holy Cross the Win
Leading 47-44 with eight minutes left, Holy Cross went on a 12-0 run sparked by two three-pointers from Anthony Thompson to take a 59-44 lead with four minutes left in the game.
During that stretch, Champion got a tip-in to give him the 1,000th point of his career.
Holy Cross would make eight of 10 free throws in the final minutes to seal the win. American would get no closer than 11 points the rest of the way.
The Crusaders were hot from the field, shooting 51% from the floor and 61% from three in the game. American shot just 40% from the field on their home floor.
Matt Husek led Holy Cross with 20 points on 8 of 9 shooting from the field, while grabbing five rebounds and blocking two shots.
Champion followed up with 16 points on 4 of 10 shooting from the field and 7 of 9 from the free throw line.
The Crusaders return to action Wednesday, February 22 when they host Loyola at the Hart Center.
Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.
Related Slideshow: 10 Biggest Games in Holy Cross Basketball History
Holy Cross vs Michigan in NCAA Tournament
The game marked Holy Cross' first NCAA Tournament appearance in 21 seasons.
After leading 72-70 with less than 5 minutes to play, the Crusaders fell 92-81.
Holy Cross was led that season by Ronnie Perry, however, he was injured for this game.
Holy Cross vs Duquesne - NIT Championship game
Holy Cross won the NIT Championship game 71-62 over Duquesne.
The Crusaders were led by Togo Palazzi who was named MVP of the tournament.
Palazzi went as the number one pick in the NBA Draft to the Boston Celtics a couple of months later.
- Holy Cross Falls 65-54 at Rhode Island
- Holy Cross Unveils 2016 NCAA Tourney Banner, Rolls Quinnipiac 75-57
- Alexander’s 38 Points Leads Holy Cross Past Sacred Heart 72-67
- Holy Cross Opens Patriot League Play at Boston University
- Holy Cross Basketball to Unveil 2016 Patriot League Championship Banner Sunday
- Holy Cross’ Comeback Falls Short, Edged 55-53 by Maine
- Holy Cross Loses 80-77 Heartbreaker to Monmouth
- Holy Cross Escapes Albany With 55-49 Win
- ESPN Launches 30 for 30 Documentary on Holy Cross Football’s Lockbaum
- Holy Cross Falls to Boston University 61-55 in Patriot League Opener
- Benzan’s Layup with 0.1 to Play Gives Holy Cross 51-50 Win Over Navy
- Champion’s 17 Points Leads Holy Cross Past Colgate 56-50
- Holy Cross Drops 2nd Straight Game, Fall 60-47 to Navy
- Benzan’s 15 Bench Points Not Enough, Holy Cross Falls to Bucknell 82-68
- Champion’s 20 Points Not Enough, Holy Cross Falls to Lafayette 69-59
- Holy Cross Defense Shuts Down Lehigh, Crusaders Roll 61-45
- Champion’s 17 Points Not Enough as Holy Cross’ Comeback Falls Short at Loyola
- Holy Cross Forces 23 Turnovers En Route to 63-55 Win Over American
- Holy Cross Holds On for 67-61 Win Over Colgate
- Holy Cross Falls to First Place Bucknell 68-49
- Holy Cross Rolls Lafayette 71-54
- Le Sann’s Career-High 13 Points Sparks Holy Cross Comeback Win Over Army
- Holy Cross Dominated on Boards, Fall 52-47 to Army