Former Patriot Hernandez Had “Severe Case” of CTE
Friday, September 22, 2017
According to the CTE Center at Boston University, Hernandez had stage 3 of 4 of the disease and also had early brain atrophy and large perforations in a central membrane.
Hernandez hung himself in his prison cell on April 19 while serving a life sentence for the murder of Odin Lloyd. His suicide came only five days after he was acquitted in a separate double murder in 2012.
After being drafted by the Patriots out of the University of Florida, Hernandez played three seasons with the team, catching 79 passes for 910 yards during the 2011 season.
The Patriots released him after his arrest in 2013.
Lawsuit Against NFL, Patriots
Hernandez’s attorney Jose Baez said that Hernandez’s daughter is suing the NFL and the New England Patriots for leading him to think the sport was safe.
The $20 million lawsuit claims that the team and league deprived Avielle Hernandez of the companionship of her father.
This lawsuit is separate from a $1 billion settlement that the NFL agreed to pay families of players who suffered brain damage due to head trauma while playing.
Aaron Hernandez’s attorney, Jose Baez, announced today that the former Patriots tight end had a severe form of C.T.E.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) September 21, 2017
Aaron Hernandez had advanced CTE. The NFL must address this devastating occupational health hazard for all its players. Immediately.— Eugene Gu, MD (@eugenegu) September 21, 2017
Aaron Hernandez' lawyer says Hernandez had Stage 3 CTE, an incredibly advanced case usually found in the case of 67-year-old men.— Tom Leyden (@TomLeyden) September 21, 2017
Aaron Hernandez Death Investigation Report
- NEW: Aaron Hernandez Charged With Murder + 5 Gun-Related Charges
- Belichick on Hernandez: “Personally, I’m hurt.”
- NEW: Aaron Hernandez Indicted on Double Murder Charge
- Nguyen: Hernandez Trial: Think About the Appeal
- Patriots Star Aaron Hernandez Arrested
- Leonardo Angiulo: Aaron Hernandez Should Probably Lawyer Up
- Patriots’ Aaron Hernandez questioned in murder case
- NEW: Reports Saying Hernandez Arrest Imminent
- NEW: Hernandez Involved In Run-Ins With Providence Police
- NEW: Hernandez Being Investigated In 2012 Double-Murder
- GoLocal Sports tackles Hernandez, Bruins and more
- Nguyen: Hernandez Did Not Need To Pull The Trigger To Be Found Guilty Of Murder
- MA State Police Colonel Releases Statement on Hernandez Verdict
- MA State Police and DA for Worcester County Investigating Death of Aaron Hernandez
- Details of Aaron Hernandez’s Death Revealed in State Police Report
- Aaron Hernandez’s 2013 Murder Conviction Vacated
- Aaron Hernandez Commits Suicide, Says Prison Officials
- Former Patriots Star Hernandez Cleared of Double Murder Charges
- Hernandez Guilty of First Degree Murder
- Nguyen: The Civil Suits Against Aaron Hernandez
- Hernandez Indicted for Shooting Witness in the Face
- Aaron Hernandez’s House on Sale for $1.49 Million
- Sale of Aaron Hernandez’s House for $1.3 Million Falls Through