Former Red Sox Nixon to Make Guest Appearance at Bravehearts’ Fan Fest
Tuesday, April 11, 2017
“This is an event we began planning with the Mayor’s office almost immediately after the 2016 season ended. It’s been exciting to see all of the pieces come together so that we can properly honor the kids, parents, and volunteers who make youth baseball and softball part of the fabric of our community. They’ll be energized by Trot Nixon, and we feel this is an ideal way for them to kick off their seasons,” said General Manager Dave Peterson.
Fan Fest is set for Saturday, April 29 starting at 10 a.m.
Nixon played 10 in parts of 10 seasons with the Red Sox helping them win the 2004 World Series. Overall, his Major League career spanned from 1996 to 2008.
During his appearance at Fan Fest, he will talk to Little League teams on the field and will also sign autographs and pose for photos with fans.
This year’s Fan Fest kicks off with the opening day parade for Little League teams beginning at 9 a.m. on Fitton Avenue. The parade will lead the teams onto Fitton Field for introductions, opening day remarks and the National Anthem.
Fan Fest opens to the public beginning at 10 a.m.
The event will feature a free coaches clinic at 10:30 a.m. with Bravehearts coaches Kevin Hartigan and Casey Cummins.
Fans will also be able to take part in a scavenger hunt and a “Swing for Your Seat” contest to win season tickets.
The Bravehearts begin their season on June 2.
Related Slideshow: The History of Baseball in Central Massachusetts
Baseball and Central Mass. go way back - to the 1860s. The local historical landmarks range from Mudville to Hotel Vernon to Fitton Field. A version of these highlights is posted on the site of the new, yet-to-be-formally-named Worcester Baseballteam of the three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.
First Perfect Game
The first perfect game in the history of Major League Baseball was pitched in Worcester, on June 12, 1880, by J. Lee Richmond for the Worcester Worcesters – also known at various times as the Brown Stockings and the Ruby Legs - versus the Cleveland Blues at the Worcester Driving Park Grounds, located in the Worcester Agricultural Fairgrounds near Elm Park. Worcester joined the National League in 1880, replacing the failed Syracuse Stars.
NE Collegiate Baseball
A New England Collegiate Baseball League team played in Leominster from 1995 to 1999. Called the Central Mass. Collegians, they won the NECBL Championship in both 1995 and 1996, and During the 1995 season, they played a game against the Cuban National Youth Team in Worcester.
Wachusett Dirt Dawgs
The Wachusett Dirt Dawgs, who play at historic, and newly renovated, Doyle Field in Leominster, are a 2012 expansion franchise in the now-three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.The Dirt Dawgs’ 2013 season swung into action on June 5 with big expectations, but ended on August 8 with those hopes being dashed. They finished in the basement, with a record of 20-31 - 14 games behind first-place the Martha’s Vineyard Sharks (38-18). The team is owned by prominent Leominster businessman John Morrison, who also founded, owns and operates Fosta-Tek Optics in Leominster.
Last month, the Futures Collegiate Baseball League announced the formation of the Worcester Baseball franchise, which will play its first season next summer. The team is owned by the family that owns and operates Creedon and Co. The prominent Worcester catering service will be the food-and-beverage vendor at home games at Fitton Field, at the College of the Holy Cross. Through Octobert 25, Worcester Baseball is conducting a name-the-team competition.
- Worcester Declares August 20 as Bravehearts Day, Will Celebrate with Rally
- Worcester Bravehearts Win FCBL Championship
- Worcester Bravehearts to Host 2016 Futures League All-Star Game
- Worcester Bravehearts Release 2016 Schedule
- Worcester Bravehearts to Participate in Clean Living Forum
- WATCH VIDEO: Bravehearts Diving Catch Makes SportsCenter Top 10 Plays
- Worcester Bravehearts ‘Heart Stove’ Event Draws 350 to Boys and Girls Club
- Worcester Bravehearts Get Set to Start Season
- Bravehearts Announce Fan Fest Date, Set for Season
- Bravehearts Add Five Impact Players to Roster
- 10 to Watch in 2016: Dave Peterson, General Manager Bravehearts
- Bravehearts Add 7 Massachusetts Players to 2016 Roster
- Bravehearts Get Swept in FCBL Championship Series
- Bravehearts Can’t Hold 7-3 Lead, Lose Game One 9-8 in Extra Innings
- Worcester Bravehearts Named Futures League Organization of the Year
- Worcester Bravehearts Announce 2017 Season Schedule
- Bravehearts to Return 11 Players From 2016 Roster
- Bravehearts to Hold Baseball Clinic at Worcester Public Library on Friday
- Bravehearts Set to Host FCBL All-Star Game Tonight
- Bravehearts to Host Cape Cod League Team in Exhibition Game
- Bravehearts Add 8 Players For Upcoming Season
- Bravehearts Name J.P. Pyne as New Manager
- Bob Lobel to be Radio Play-by-Play Man for Worcester Bravehearts
- Bravehearts Add 7 Division I College Players to Roster for 2017
- Cherington Steps Down as Red Sox GM, Dombrowski Hired as Pres
- Pablo Sandoval is the Least Valuable Player on Red Sox
- NEW: Former Red Sox Curt Schilling Suspended by ESPN For Offensive Tweet
- Don Orsillo to Leave NESN at End of Red Sox Season
- Red Sox Prospect Henry Owens Makes MLB Debut Tonight Against Yankees
- The 10 Best Red Sox Free Agent Signings in Larry Lucchino Era
- Brock Holt Only Red Sox Selected for All-Star Game
- Red Sox Need to Decide Soon if They’re In or Out on Postseason Run
- The Best Boston Red Sox All-Star Game Moments
- Red Sox President & CEO Larry Lucchino to Step Down
- Red Sox Sign David Price to 7 Year Deal
- Should Red Sox Fans Be Worried About David Price?
- Benintendi’s 3-Run Home Run Lifts Red Sox Over Pirates on Opening Day
- Gronkowski Steals Brady’s Jersey During Red Sox Opening Day Ceremony
- Leon’s Walk Off 3-Run Home Run Gives Red Sox 3-0 Win in 12th Inning
- Red Sox Bullpen Can’t Hold Lead as Sox Fall 6-5 to Detroit
- Red Sox Drop 2nd Straight Game, Fall 4-1 to Detroit
- Red Sox Acquire Ace Pitcher Chris Sale from White Sox
- Red Sox Porcello Wins AL Cy Young Award
- Worcester Police Officer Daige Honored by Red Sox for Pan Mass Challenge Effort
- Red Sox’ Benintendi Makes Catch of the Year in 6-2 Win Over Tampa
- Red Sox Open ALDS at Cleveland on Thursday Night
- Red Sox Lose to Indians
- Leon’s Two-Run Single in 8th Lifts Red Sox Over Detroit 7-5