Holy Cross Dominated on Boards, Fall 52-47 to Army
Thursday, February 16, 2017
The Crusaders were dominated on the boards, losing the battle 41-23.
“Real disappointing. I thought they outplayed us the entire night, controlled the game. They killed us on the boards and they are not a big team, but they got so many second shots,” said Holy Cross Head Coach Bill Carmody.
Holy Cross drops to 7-8 in the Patriot League and 13-15 overall, while Army improves to 4-11 in the Patriot League and 10-17 overall.
Holy Cross Falls Short
Trailing 32-25 at the half, Holy Cross’ Robert Champion opened the second half by scoring eight straight points to put the Crusaders ahead 33-32 early in the second half.
The Black Knights then would go on a 9-3 run to grab a 41-36 lead with 7:37 remaining.
Army would extend their lead to 49-41 with 1:35 left to play before Holy Cross would go on a 6-0 run to cut it to 49-47 with 34 seconds left.
The black Knights would convert three of four free throws in the final seconds to seal the win.
Robert Champion was the only Holy Cross player to reach double figures, scoring 21 points on 7 of 15 shooting from the field.
Malachi Alexander followed up with 8 points on 3 of 7 shooting from the field while grabbing five rebounds.
Holy Cross returns to action on Sunday, February 19 when they visit American.
Tip-off is set for 12 p.m.
Related Slideshow: 10 Biggest Games in Holy Cross Basketball History
Holy Cross vs Michigan in NCAA Tournament
The game marked Holy Cross' first NCAA Tournament appearance in 21 seasons.
After leading 72-70 with less than 5 minutes to play, the Crusaders fell 92-81.
Holy Cross was led that season by Ronnie Perry, however, he was injured for this game.
Holy Cross vs Duquesne - NIT Championship game
Holy Cross won the NIT Championship game 71-62 over Duquesne.
The Crusaders were led by Togo Palazzi who was named MVP of the tournament.
Palazzi went as the number one pick in the NBA Draft to the Boston Celtics a couple of months later.
- Holy Cross Unveils 2016 NCAA Tourney Banner, Rolls Quinnipiac 75-57
- Holy Cross Basketball to Unveil 2016 Patriot League Championship Banner Sunday
- Holy Cross Falls 65-54 at Rhode Island
- Alexander’s 38 Points Leads Holy Cross Past Sacred Heart 72-67
- Holy Cross’ Comeback Falls Short, Edged 55-53 by Maine
- ESPN Launches 30 for 30 Documentary on Holy Cross Football’s Lockbaum
- Holy Cross Cruises Past South Carolina State 73-57 in Home Opener
- Holy Cross Loses 80-77 Heartbreaker to Monmouth
- Holy Cross Escapes Albany With 55-49 Win
- Holy Cross Opens Patriot League Play at Boston University
- Holy Cross Falls to Boston University 61-55 in Patriot League Opener
- Holy Cross Drops 2nd Straight Game, Fall 60-47 to Navy
- Champion’s 17 Points Not Enough as Holy Cross’ Comeback Falls Short at Loyola
- Champion’s 17 Points Leads Holy Cross Past Colgate 56-50
- Benzan’s 15 Bench Points Not Enough, Holy Cross Falls to Bucknell 82-68
- Champion’s 20 Points Not Enough, Holy Cross Falls to Lafayette 69-59
- Holy Cross Forces 23 Turnovers En Route to 63-55 Win Over American
- Le Sann’s Career-High 13 Points Sparks Holy Cross Comeback Win Over Army
- Benzan’s Layup with 0.1 to Play Gives Holy Cross 51-50 Win Over Navy
- Holy Cross Holds On for 67-61 Win Over Colgate
- Holy Cross Falls to First Place Bucknell 68-49