Holy Cross Edges Army 69-65
Thursday, January 21, 2016
"We needed that win, we were on a little drought. The difference today, compared to the games that we lost was our defense," said Malachi Alexander after the game.
See the Five Takeaways Slideshow Below
With the score tied at 62 with two minutes to play, freshman Karl Charles converted a three-point play to give Holy Cross a 65-62 lead.
Holy Cross would seal the game by hitting their final four free throw attempts in the final 10 seconds to get their 3rd win in the Patriot League.
Holy trailed at the half, 40-32, but opened the second by scoring the first 6 points to get within two.
The Crusaders would claim their first lead of the half a few minutes later after an 8-0 run put them up 47-45, after previously trailing 45-39.
Holy Cross was led by Karl Charles, who netted 20 points on 4 of 15 shooting from the field and also pulled down a career high 15 rebounds for a double-double.
Malachi Alexander also poured in 20 points for Holy Cross.
The Crusaders return to action on Sunday, January 24 when they travel to American for a 1 p.m. tip off.
Related Slideshow: 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 69-65 Win Over Army
2nd Chance Points
Both Army and Holy Cross each grabbed 10 offensive rebounds in the game while Army out rebounded the Crusaders 40-34 overall.
However, Holy Cross took their 10 offensive rebounds and converted for 16 second chance points. Meanwhile, Army converted for only 4 points.
Karl Charles led Holy Cross with 6 offensive rebounds.
Holy Cross did a great job of not turning the ball over in this game. The Crusaders only had 7 turnovers, 3 of which came from Cullen Hamilton, compared to Army who turned it over 16 times.
Off of Army's 16 turnovers, Holy Cross converted for 18 points compared to Army coverting for just 9 points.
Karl Charles co-led Holy Cross with 20 points in the game but also pulled down a career high 15 rebounds for a double-double.
Charles' 20 points came on 4 of 15 shooting from the field and 11 of 14 from the free throw line.
Of his rebounds, 6 of them came on the offensive glass.
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 67-64 Win Over Marist
- Holy Cross Basketball 2015-16 Season Preview
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 71-55 Loss to Brown
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 73-69 Loss to New Hampshire
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 62-56 Loss to Quinnipiac
- Holy Cross Goes for 3rd Straight Win, UMass Returns to Gillette
- Holy Cross Athletics Has 3rd Highest Graduation Rate in Country
- Holy Cross Eyes First Conference Win vs. Lafayette
- Holy Cross Rolls Lafayette 42-0 for 1st Conference Win
- Holy Cross Looks for Non-Conference Win Over Bryant
- NEW: Holy Cross Comes Back to Edge Bryant 34-33
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 69-60 Win Over Sacred Heart
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 50-49 Win Over Harvard
- Holy Cross’ Karl Charles Named Patriot League Rookie of the Week
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 65-60 Loss to Navy
- Holy Cross Rallies to Beat Colgate 65-63
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 98-71 Loss to Bucknell
- Holy Cross Falls 65-52 to Lafayette
- Holy Cross Rolls BU in Patriot League Opener
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Bill Carmody, Men’s Basketball Coach Holy Cross
- Holy Cross Falls to Lehigh 87-66
- Holy Cross Falls 88-84 to Albany in OT
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 92-59 Loss to #2 Kansas
- Holy Cross Rolls Hartford 90-68
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 76-75 Win Over Maine