slides: Holy Cross Falls 65-52 to Lafayette
Thursday, January 14, 2016
See the Five Takeaways Slideshow Below.
Holy Cross trailed by five points at the half, 31-26, and got to within four, 33-29 early in the second half. However, Lafayette scored the next 11 points to up by 15, 44-29.
The Leopards would increase their margin to 16 points, 50-34, with 11 minutes left to play before Holy Cross would go on a 10-2 run to cut their deficit to just eight, 52-44. Eight of the ten points came from Robert Champion.
With 6:39 left to play, the Crusaders would cut it to six, 55-49, but would go cold from the field. Holy Cross would not make a field goal the rest of the game while the Leopards closed it out on a 10-3 run.
Ironically, Holy Cross started out the game red hot from the field, taking an 8-0 lead in the first three minutes of action.
Holy Cross was led by Robert Champion who poured in a career high 24 points on 9 of 21 shooting from the field.
Cullen Hamilton followed up with 10 points on 4 of 9 shooting from the field.
Holy Cross returns home on Saturday, January 16 when they host Lehigh at 1 p.m. at the Hart Center. Holy Cross is 5-2 at home this season.
See the Five Takeaways Slideshow Below
Related Slideshow: 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 65-52 Loss to Lafayette
Protecting offensive glass
Karl Charles led all Crusaders by grabbing 8 rebounds in the game while Robert Champion and Malachi Alexander followed up with 6 each.
Holy Cross and Lafayette tied the rebounding battle at 33, however, Holy Cross did not give up an offensive rebound.
On the other side of the floor, the Crusaders grabbed 7 offensive rebounds and turned it into 7 points.
3 Point Shooting
Holy Cross struggled from beyond the arc in this game, only knocking down 5 three-pointers of the 27 that they took. The Crusaders shot 18 % from deep in the game.
Anthony Thompson was 1 of 6 from deep while Cullen Hamilton and Robert Champion were both 2 of 7.
Lafayette knocked down 10 of their 25 three-pointers, shooting 40%.
- NEW: Holy Cross Comes Back to Edge Bryant 34-33
- Holy Cross Looks for Non-Conference Win Over Bryant
- Former Holy Cross Star Miller Waived by Celtics
- Holy Cross Basketball Picked to Finish 8th in Patriot League
- Holy Cross Eyes First Conference Win vs. Lafayette
- Holy Cross Rolls Lafayette 42-0 for 1st Conference Win
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 73-69 Loss to New Hampshire
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 62-56 Loss to Quinnipiac
- Holy Cross Rolls BU in Patriot League Opener
- 15 Who Made a Difference in 2015: Bill Carmody, Men’s Basketball Coach Holy Cross
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 65-60 Loss to Navy
- Holy Cross’ Karl Charles Named Patriot League Rookie of the Week
- Holy Cross Rallies to Beat Colgate 65-63
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 76-75 Win Over Maine
- Holy Cross Rolls Hartford 90-68
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 69-60 Win Over Sacred Heart
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 50-49 Win Over Harvard
- Holy Cross Falls 88-84 to Albany in OT
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 92-59 Loss to #2 Kansas
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 98-71 Loss to Bucknell
- Holy Cross Goes for 3rd Straight Win, UMass Returns to Gillette
- Holy Cross Athletics Has 3rd Highest Graduation Rate in Country
- Holy Cross Basketball 2015-16 Season Preview
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 67-64 Win Over Marist
- 5 Takeaways From Holy Cross’ 71-55 Loss to Brown