Holy Cross Football Rallies From 26 Points Down to Beat Georgetown 32-31
Sunday, November 18, 2018
The Crusaders wrap up the season at 5-6 overall and 4-2 in the Patriot League, while the Hoyas conclude the season at 5-6 overall and 4-2 in the conference.
Holy Cross finishes the season with wins in their last four games.
Holy Cross Storms Back
Trailing 31-5, Holy Cross quarterback Geoff Wade threw a 20-yard touchdown pass to Martin Dorsey with 4:21 left in the third quarter to spark the rally.
Dorsey hauled in 13 catches for 139 yards in the game.
Early in the fourth quarter, defensive back Macklin Kortebein blocked a punt which was returned 38 yards for a touchdown by freshman Spencer Gilliam.
Less than five minutes later, Kortebein blocked a second punt which freshman Peter Oliver brought back 27 yards for a touchdown, and the Crusaders trailed 31-25.
However, the Crusaders were still down six with less than a minute to go.
Facing a 3rd & 15, Wade found sophomore wideout Tenio Ayeni for 30 yards to give the Crusaders a first down at the Georgetown 23-yard line.
Five plays later, running back Miles Alexander scored on a two-yard run with just 42 seconds on the clock to put Holy Cross up 32-31.
The Hoyas would have one last possession, but on the third play defensive back Chris Riley intercepted a pass to put the game away.
Defense Steps Up
The Holy Cross comeback was sparked in large part due to their defense.
The Crusader defense held Georgetown to just 212 yards of total offense and 10 first downs on the afternoon, while forcing a pair of turnovers.
Senior linebacker Ryan Brady led the way with 16 tackles, three tackles for loss and a safety, while senior defensive lineman Teddy Capsis added nine tackles with four tackles for loss.
- Holy Cross Football Hosts Georgetown in Final Home Game of Season
- Holy Cross Football Visits Colgate Looking to Snap 4-Game Losing Streak
- Holy Cross Football Visits Fordham Seeking 2nd Straight Win
- Holy Cross Football Cruises Past Fordham 42-20
- Holy Cross Football Wraps up 2017 Season With Visit to Lehigh
- Holy Cross Football Shut Out for 1st Time Since 2004, Lose 32-0 to Yale
- Holy Cross Football Set to Visit Yale
- Holy Cross Football Hosts Lafayette on Homecoming Weekend
- Holy Cross Football Drops 2nd Straight Game, Fall 10-7 to Lafayette
- Holy Cross Football Hosts Monmouth on Saturday
- Holy Cross Football Drops 3rd Straight Game, 48-36 to Monmouth
- Holy Cross Football to Induct Bill & Rob McGovern Into Legends Ring Of Honor
- Holy Cross Football Rolls Lehigh 56-0
- Holy Cross Football Visits Lafayette on Saturday
- Holy Cross Football Edges Fordham 17-13 in Final Home Game
- Holy Cross Football Visits Harvard Friday Night
- Holy Cross Football Visits New Hampshire on Saturday
- Holy Cross Football Hosts Dartmouth on Saturday
- Holy Cross Football Hosts Bucknell on Saturday
- Holy Cross Football Edged by Bucknell 19-16