HS Football Power Rankings: Big Win Boosts Shrewsbury
Monday, November 05, 2012
That, and whether or not St. John's could claw its way back into the top-10 after ending its losing streak, are perhaps the most intriguing questions answered in our power rankings below.
1. Auburn (9-0, 4-0 SWCL A) Last Week: 1
The Rockets faced another stiff test in Northbridge last week, and again Auburn dominated in every phase. Tyler Desjardins and the brutally efficient Auburn ground game rolled over the Rams 39-7, and have now outscored their last six opponents 201-20.
2. Nashoba (9-0, 4-0 Mid-Wach B) Last Week: 2
A week after pulling out a tight road win over Doherty, the Chieftains cruised over Hudson 42-0.
3. Shepherd Hill (8-1, 3-1 SWCL A) Last Week: 3
Since losing at Auburn, the Rams have rattled off four straight wins heading into a huge game against Doherty this Friday.
4. Doherty (7-2, 2-0 Inter-High) Last Week: 7
The Highlanders made short work of Inter-High rival North last Friday, but a much tougher test awaits them this week against Shepherd Hill.
5. Shrewsbury (7-2, 2-1 Mid-Wach A) Last Week: 9
Quarterback Mike Coggeshall and receiver Ryan Dube continue to make big plays this year, and none was bigger than their connection with less than five seconds remaining in a win over Leominster.
6. Northbridge (7-2, 3-2 SWCL A) Last Week: 4
The Rams are still a good team, but they've come up short against league foes Auburn and Shepherd Hill in their two biggest games this season.
7. Wachusett (6-3, 4-0 Mid-Wach A) Last Week: 6
The Mountaineers are probably still scratching their heads about that 21-20 loss to Westborough two weeks ago, but they did bounce back with a convincing win over Milford last week. North Middlesex is up next this Friday, before a big Thanksgiving Day showdown with Holy Name.
8. Tyngsborough (9-0, 5-0 Mid-Wach C) Last Week: 8
After last weekend, there are now only three unbeatens remaining in Central Mass. The Tigers grounded an underrated Quabbin team last Friday, and suddenly their final two games against Narragansett and Groton-Dunstable look very significant.
9. Leominster (5-4, 1-2 Mid-Wach A) Last Week: 5
The Blue Devils seemed to have their mojo back when they scored a last-second win over St. John's last month, but Friday night they were on the wrong end of a nail biter in Shrewsbury. Is Leominster Super Bowl material again this year? When they're at their best they are, but consistency has been an issue, partially because of their brutal schedule.
10. Groton-Dunstable (8-1, 4-0 Mid-Wach C) Last Week: Unranked
Groton-Dunstable makes its debut in our power rankings after edging Gardner 29-27. A huge win over Littleton two weeks ago got them on the radar, and now the Crusaders just need to get past Lunenberg to set up a massive Thanksgiving Day showdown with Tyngsborough.
Dropped from Rankings: Blackstone Valley Tech (8-1, 5-1 Colonial) Last Week: 10
The Beavers lost their first game of the season last week, falling to Bay Path 13-12. Prior to that, BVT had won its last four games by an average of over 31 points.
In the Hunt: Littleton (7-2), Bay Path (8-1), St. John's (5-4)
Littleton got back on the map after a big win over previously unbeaten West Boylston, while Bay Path was the first team to knock off Blackstone Valley Tech. St. John's ended its four game losing streak against Fitchburg and still has one of the best offenses in the state.
- Doherty and Nashoba Meet in the GoLocal Game of the Week
- GoLocal Game of the Week: St. John’s vs Longmeadow
- GoLocalTV: Tons of Movement in Our High School Football Power Rankings
- GoLocal Game of the Week Preview: Worcester Tech at South
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Worcester Tech vs South
- HS Football Power Rankings: Auburn on Top After Statement Win
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Auburn vs Shepherd Hill
- Leominster to Face Shrewsbury in the GoLocal Game of the Week
- HS Football Power Rankings: Can Anyone Top Auburn?
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Doherty vs South
- South and Doherty Set to Play in GoLocal Game of the Week
- HS Football Power Rankings: Doherty and Wachusett Continue to Impress
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Leominster vs Shrewsbury
- St. John’s Faces Western Mass Champ in GoLocal High School Football Game of the Week
- HS Football Power Rankings: Nashoba Makes Its Case for No. 1
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Nashoba vs Doherty
- Wachusett and Shrewsbury Meet in the GoLocal Game of the Week
- High School Football Power Rankings: Nashoba, Auburn and St. John’s on Top
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Shrewsbury vs Wachusett
- Auburn Battles Rival Shepherd Hill in the GoLocal Game of the Week
- GoLocal Game of the Week: South vs Quabbin