HS Football Power Rankings: Nashoba Makes Its Case for No. 1
Monday, October 29, 2012
The Rockets scored an impressive victory themselves, overwhelming Grafton 27-0. Auburn would hold on to the No. 1 position, and here are the rest of our power rankings.
1. Auburn (8-0, 3-0 SWCL A) Last Week: 1
To keep you posted on the Rockets' recent run of dominance, Auburn has outscored its last five opponents 162-13.
2. Nashoba (8-0, 3-0 Mid-Wach B) Last Week: 2
The Chieftains edged Doherty Friday, and Nashoba has shown Central Mass that it can win with both offense and defense lately. With the challenging heart of their schedule finished now, all that's left to do for the Chieftains is to win another Division II Central Mass Super Bowl.
3. Shepherd Hill (7-1, 2-1 SWCL A) Last Week: 6
Shepherd Hill kept its momentum alive with a 40-27 win over Fitchburg Friday. Games against Oxford and Doherty loom for the playoff bound Rams in the next two weeks.
4. Northbridge (7-1, 3-1 SWCL A) Last Week: 7
The Rams responded to their loss to Shepherd Hill well, thrashing Oxford 33-0 Friday. Northbridge's greatest test yet comes Friday night when it heads to Auburn.
5. Leominster (5-3, 1-1 Mid-Wach A) Last Week: 4
Leominster dropped a tough one to one of the state's best teams in Brockton Friday. The Blue Devils play one of the toughest schedules in Central Mass, but have a huge chance to get back in the driver seat of Mid-Wach A with game at Shrewsbury this Friday.
6. Wachusett (5-3, 3-0 Mid-Wach A) Last Week: 3
Speaking of Mid-Wach A, the Mountaineers had a chance to rattle off a couple wins in a row, but were upset by Westborough 21-20. Wachusett still has one of the region's best defenses and offensive lines, but the Mountaineers will have to bounce back before a showdown with Holy Name on Thanksgiving Day.
7. Doherty (6-2, 1-0 Inter-High) Last Week: 5
It's tough to hold Friday night's loss to Nashoba against Doherty, especially since the Highlanders' offense looked like it could score on anyone. Quarterback Luke Brennan tossed three touchdowns against the Chieftains, and showed a knack for getting out of the pocket when pressure came.
8. Tyngsborough (8-0, 4-0 Mid-Wach C) Last Week: 8
The Tigers just keep on winning, and running back Chuck Keenan is coming on strong. The senior scored four times Friday against Clinton, and has Tynsgborough surging toward a Mid-Wach C title.
9. Shrewsbury (6-2, 1-1 Mid-Wach A) Last Week: 9
Shrewsbury bounced back from a loss to Wachusett Friday with a 34-22 win over Hudson, but the Colonials will face their biggest challenge yet as reigning Division I Super Bowl champion Leominster comes to town this week.
10. Blackstone Valley Tech (8-0, 5-0 Colonial) Last Week: Unranked
The Beavers notched an impressive win over Assabet Saturday, and will get another chance to prove themselves this Saturday against Bay Path. BVT hasn't played the toughest schedule this season, but only one team all year (Littleton) has stayed within 20 points of the Beavers.
Dropped from Rankings: West Boylston (8-0, 3-0 Mid-Wach D) Last Week: 10
The Lions dropped from our rankings, despite pounding South 48-8. West Boylston has a chance to jump right back into the top-10 if they can handle Littleton this Friday night.
In the Hunt: West Boylston, Groton Dunstable (7-1)
- GoLocalTV: Tons of Movement in Our High School Football Power Rankings
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Auburn vs Shepherd Hill
- St. John’s Faces Western Mass Champ in GoLocal High School Football Game of the Week
- HS Football Power Rankings: Auburn on Top After Statement Win
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Doherty vs South
- Wachusett and Shrewsbury Meet in the GoLocal Game of the Week
- HS Football Power Rankings: Can Anyone Top Auburn?
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Nashoba vs Doherty
- HS Football Power Rankings: Doherty and Wachusett Continue to Impress
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Shrewsbury vs Wachusett
- High School Football Power Rankings: Nashoba, Auburn and St. John’s on Top
- GoLocal Game of the Week: South vs Quabbin
- Auburn Battles Rival Shepherd Hill in the GoLocal Game of the Week
- GoLocal Game of the Week: St. John’s vs Longmeadow
- Doherty and Nashoba Meet in the GoLocal Game of the Week
- GoLocal Game of the Week: Worcester Tech vs South
- GoLocal Game of the Week Preview: Worcester Tech at South
- South and Doherty Set to Play in GoLocal Game of the Week