Leon’s Walk Off 3-Run Home Run Gives Red Sox 3-0 Win in 12th Inning
Thursday, April 06, 2017
Earlier in the night, Leon made a base running error in the third inning that cost the Red Sox a run.
Boston is now 2-0 on the season.
Chris Sale Shines
In his Red Sox debut, Chris Sale did not give up a run while striking out seven batters in seven innings pitched.
The Red Sox acquired sale in the offseason for top prospect Yoan Moncada and a package of other prospects.
The Red Sox will go for the sweep of the Pirates on Thursday afternoon when Eduardo Rodriguez will take the mound for Boston against Pittsburgh Chad Kuhl.
First pitch is set for 1 p.m.
Related Slideshow: The History of Baseball in Central Massachusetts
Baseball and Central Mass. go way back - to the 1860s. The local historical landmarks range from Mudville to Hotel Vernon to Fitton Field. A version of these highlights is posted on the site of the new, yet-to-be-formally-named Worcester Baseballteam of the three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.
First Perfect Game
The first perfect game in the history of Major League Baseball was pitched in Worcester, on June 12, 1880, by J. Lee Richmond for the Worcester Worcesters – also known at various times as the Brown Stockings and the Ruby Legs - versus the Cleveland Blues at the Worcester Driving Park Grounds, located in the Worcester Agricultural Fairgrounds near Elm Park. Worcester joined the National League in 1880, replacing the failed Syracuse Stars.
NE Collegiate Baseball
A New England Collegiate Baseball League team played in Leominster from 1995 to 1999. Called the Central Mass. Collegians, they won the NECBL Championship in both 1995 and 1996, and During the 1995 season, they played a game against the Cuban National Youth Team in Worcester.
Wachusett Dirt Dawgs
The Wachusett Dirt Dawgs, who play at historic, and newly renovated, Doyle Field in Leominster, are a 2012 expansion franchise in the now-three-year-old Futures Collegiate Baseball League.The Dirt Dawgs’ 2013 season swung into action on June 5 with big expectations, but ended on August 8 with those hopes being dashed. They finished in the basement, with a record of 20-31 - 14 games behind first-place the Martha’s Vineyard Sharks (38-18). The team is owned by prominent Leominster businessman John Morrison, who also founded, owns and operates Fosta-Tek Optics in Leominster.
Last month, the Futures Collegiate Baseball League announced the formation of the Worcester Baseball franchise, which will play its first season next summer. The team is owned by the family that owns and operates Creedon and Co. The prominent Worcester catering service will be the food-and-beverage vendor at home games at Fitton Field, at the College of the Holy Cross. Through Octobert 25, Worcester Baseball is conducting a name-the-team competition.
- Red Sox President & CEO Larry Lucchino to Step Down
- The Best Boston Red Sox All-Star Game Moments
- The 10 Best Red Sox Free Agent Signings in Larry Lucchino Era
- Red Sox Prospect Henry Owens Makes MLB Debut Tonight Against Yankees
- Pablo Sandoval is the Least Valuable Player on Red Sox
- Red Sox Need to Decide Soon if They’re In or Out on Postseason Run
- Brock Holt Only Red Sox Selected for All-Star Game
- Red Sox Roll Phillies 8-0 on Opening Day
- Red Sox Mookie Betts Makes Unbelievable Catch
- Should the Red Sox Look to Pawtucket For Improvements?
- Boston Red Sox Pay Millions in Property Taxes to Boston for Fenway
- Cherington Steps Down as Red Sox GM, Dombrowski Hired as Pres
- NEW: Former Red Sox Curt Schilling Suspended by ESPN For Offensive Tweet
- Red Sox Lose to Indians
- Red Sox Open ALDS at Cleveland on Thursday Night
- Red Sox Porcello Wins AL Cy Young Award
- Red Sox Acquire Ace Pitcher Chris Sale from White Sox
- Gronkowski Steals Brady’s Jersey During Red Sox Opening Day Ceremony
- Red Sox’ Benintendi Makes Catch of the Year in 6-2 Win Over Tampa
- Worcester Police Officer Daige Honored by Red Sox for Pan Mass Challenge Effort
- Don Orsillo to Leave NESN at End of Red Sox Season
- Red Sox Sign David Price to 7 Year Deal
- Should Red Sox Fans Be Worried About David Price?
- Benintendi’s 3-Run Home Run Lifts Red Sox Over Pirates on Opening Day