McGovern Celebrates Installation of New Bike Exhibit in Worcester
Wednesday, May 31, 2017
“With the opening of this bike repair station it will be that much easier and more fun for residents from across the region to enjoy the miles of bike trails in and around my district. And of course, while folks are enjoying themselves riding through Worcester, now they have the opportunity to learn about the important role Worcester played in bicycle manufacturing and to learn about world champion bicycle racer Marshall ‘Major’ Taylor who came to Worcester in 1895,” said McGovern.
The Bike Exhibit and Repair Station
The new exhibit will help visitors to learn about the region’s history as well as providing tools for bike maintenance and repair.
The exhibit is created from 2-inch COR-TEN steel, uses evocative images, and explores the history of biking in the Worcester area since the late 1800s.
It also includes a life-size silhouette of African-American athlete Marshall W. "Major" Taylor, 1899 world cycling champion, on a high wheel bike.
The repair station will provide basic tools, a tire pump, and advice on prepping your bike for a safe ride.
Related Slideshow: 25 Things to Look Forward to in New England This Summer - 2017
The Burlington Discover Jazz Festival
The Burlington Discover Jazz Festival takes place from June 2 to June 11 in downtown Burlington, Vermont.
This 10 day celebration features four stages with free live music from Arrested Development and more. The festival also will feature local food and much more.
For more information, click here.
Taking a Cruise on a Windjammer
Head to Maine and sleep aboard a National Landmark, the Maine Windjammer Fleet.
Go on a three, four or six-day cruise and get closer than ever before to wildlife like whales, eagles, and porpoises while you see some of the best coastal scenery that North America has to offer.
After a successful first festival, the PVDFest returns to Providence for the third year and will take place from June 1-4.
The festival will bring in art, music, performances and more from all over the United States and the world for the free outdoor festival.
Catching a Worcester Bravehearts Game
Year after year, the Worcester Bravehearts are one of the best baseball teams in New England.
They bring in some of the best college talent from across the region to compete for the Futures League Championship.
Don't miss a game.
Visiting Cape Playhouse Theatre
Taking a ride to Cape Cod and visit the oldest summer theatre in the country, Cape Playhouse. Cape Playhouse was first opened in 1927 by Raymond Moore.
The theatre has been home to some of the biggest stars to ever grace a stage like Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart amongst others.
Enjoying the South County Hot Air Balloon Fest
There is nothing quite like the Hot Air Ballon Fest. This is the place to enjoy glowing hot air balloons, crafts, music, food, fishing, carnival rides, fireworks, and more.
The festival will be held from July 21-23 on the URI athletic fields.
Participating in the Worcester World Cup 2017
The 2017 Worcester World Cup is set to take place from Friday, August 11 to Sunday, August 13.
The Worcester World Cup is more than a soccer tournament. It's a celebration of Worcester and a safe, friendly family event that people look forward to all year.
Newport Jazz Festival
The 2017 festival is set to take place from Friday, August 4 to Sunday, August 6.
The festival will show off over 50 individual jazz ensembles on four stages including performances at the International Tennis Hall of Fame and Fort Adams State Park.
Seeing a Movie at the Rustic Drive-In
Look forward to Calling up your friends, pack a picnic, and sit in your car as feature films are projected on giant outdoor screens.
The audio plays right through your radio, so be sure to turn the volume up high as you snack on your candy and popcorn.
Zip Lining in the Berkshires
Looking for something new and exciting? Head to the Berkshires and get yourself on a zip line, maybe even do a canopy tour.
There are three different tour options, starting with the base area tour which lasts an hour or the Moutain Top or Valley Jump tour which takes three hours. Both of those are sure to shoot some adrenaline into your day.
The Little League World Series
While the Little League World Series does not take place in New England, the series is arguably the marquee sporting event of the summer.
There will be a New England team in it this year and therefore, the Little League World Series is always something to look forward to
Catching a PawSox Game at McCoy
Nothing says summer time like sitting at McCoy Stadium and watching a Pawtucket Red Sox game.
While the PawSox are already in action, the weather is getting warmer and it will be much more comfortable to go out to a game.
Billy Joel at Fenway Park
For the fourth consecutive year, rock and roll legend Billy Joel will play Fenway Park.
Billy Joel released his first hit song, arguably still his biggest hit, Piano Man in 1973 and since then has become the 6th best-selling recording artist and the third best-selling solo artist in the United States.
Joel was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1992 and then the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999.
- McGovern Attends House Democrats Sit-in Demanding Action Against Gun Violence
- McGovern Blasts Speaker Ryan’s Poverty Agenda
- Congressman McGovern to Help Community Servings Serve 100,000th Meal
- McGovern Approves of Obama Administration’s Call for $1.1 Billion to Address Opioids
- McGovern Calls Out Republicans for Failure to Act on Public Health Crises
- Congressman McGovern Honors Officer Tarentino on House Floor
- Congressman McGovern Praises Massachusetts for Efforts to Reduce Food Waste
- McGovern Speaks on Overnight Stay at Homeless Shelter
- McGovern Meets With 2015 Congressional App Challenge Winners for MA
- Congressman McGovern Visits Worcester as Part of Affordable Housing Tour
- Cong McGovern and Sen Warren Praise Collapse of Kinder Morgan’s Pipeline Plan
- LePage Receives Congressional Recognition from McGovern for New England Pride TV
- McGovern Blasts GOP Efforts to Cut Food Assistance to the Poor
- McGovern Says Passing Trumpcare “Requires Heart of Stone”
- McGovern, Petty Send Letter to Trump Criticizing Executive Orders on Immigration
- Congressman McGovern Slams Republican Party Over Latest Shutdown Threat
- McGovern Calls GOP Healthcare Bill Process a “Goddamn Mess”
- McGovern Joins Petition to Force Vote on Independent Investigation Into Trump-Russia Ties
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Budget Proposal “Reckless”
- McGovern Reintroduces Bill Overturning Citizens United
- McGovern Honors Worcester Military Service Veteran McGrath Jr.
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Congressman McGovern: America Cannot Afford Trump’s Nuclear Arms Race
- McGovern Wraps Up Trip to Cuba to Promote U.S. Economic Development
- McGovern Calls Trump’s Proposed Budget “Heartless”